Newbie, brewed last night forgot to add yeast!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleysilo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,I bought everything needed to brew my fiirst batch last night and did. Only problem is the instructions didn't tell me to add the yeast after I cooled the wort, so I siphoned the cooled wort into the 6 gal. plastic container , put the little plastic bubbler thingy in the lid, and put it in the spare bedroom. A person here a work today educated me on my error. So I started reading about it today. Best I can tell I should be fine if I just add yeast this evening, but I'm not sure. I also didn't realize the importance of sanitizing everything (I pushed the little black seal down into the wort when I stuck the bubbler thingy through the lid, so I reached into the wort pulled it out, put it back together and put the lid on). Should I just dump this batch out and start over???

:confused:

Don't dump it, add your yeast and see if it starts fermenting in 24-48h. Worst case it did get infected if you weren't properly sanitized AND some nasty is waiting but you gotta try. I don't have a lot of experience and others will surely come back with added content but that's what I'd do.

Next thing to do though is start reading up on how it's done. It's not rocket science but is good to start into this with some education/knowledge. I read for an hour or so which was enough to get you started. An online resource is here: How To Brew

Thanks for the advice, I had washed my hands several times but not up to the elbow! Yeah, I spent the better part of the work day reading about it. From what I can tell, those are my two only mistakes. I'll add yeast as soon as I get home and see what has happened tomorrow morning. What would indicate that your beer has bad bacteria or is contaminated. Will it just taste awlful when all is said and done? Will the alcohol start to kill the nasties as it develops? Finally, Should I re-boil everything?

I appreciate anyone's imput, I tired the search but I don't think anyones made this mistake before :rolleyes:

Were your hands clean when you started fishing?

Anyway, I think you'll be OK.

Just add your yeast and start your wait.

Next time you go to push your airlock through the rubber ring wet it a bit and it'll slide in easier.

They were clean, but I hadn't washed up to my elbows. What do you think about re-boiling everything at this point?

if you reboil it you will lose any hop aroma, but you could always put more hops in it...

i'd just add the yeast and see how it goes. rehydrate it if it is dry yeast.

Yep, just pitch your yeast properly and "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew".....or in your case a store bought will do. :D Now you have something to move forward on...Good Luck and get ready to brew the second batch in a few days.

Well, when I took the lid off of the 6 gal. bucket everything "looks" fine, the beer which is a kit Pale Ale looks and smells kind of like sweet sun tea. So per the yeast packet instructions, I poured it in 4 oz. of warm water, and 15mins. later started to add a little wort untill the yeast was same temp. about 25 mins. total and dumped it in wort, sealed bucket. Checked this morning and nothing was happening but I read it could take up to 24-48 hrs.and it had only be 12.

Thanks for all the suggestions, if you need any info about Jeeps, Koi ponds, ior landscaping...I'm your guy. :D

Last week on my second batch I noticed my bucket was leaking at the seal for the faucet after I put the wort and water in. I dove in up to the elbow and reseated it. Beer is on third week in the carboy and looks fine. One thing I've learned doing this, there are so many different ways to do the same thing it drives you crazy wondering if you did it right. Relax... have a home brew

Here's the thing. The ONE thing to be very careful about in brewing is sanitation or else you're wasting your time. It sounds like you need to shift your mindset. Everything that comes into contact with the wort must be SANITIZED not just washed. In fact, you should NEVER use soap on brewing equipment.

You shouldn't open your fermenter to peek a bunch. The air is full of bacteria that will infect your beer.

What did you scoop wort out with for the yeast? Did you sanitize it with bleach or iodine or something similar.

Brewing is very forgiving, but sanitation is paramount. EVERYTHING that touches your beer needs to be sanitized. Did you sanitize your fermenter before adding the beer?

I sanitized the fermentor and the large plastic spoon I dipped the wort out with and the glass measuring cup I put it and the yeast (dry) in. I only peaked in the fermentor to add yest. Someone suggested replaceing water in airlock with PGA, why would I want to do that?

Latest posts

Back