Newb reusing yeast help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmcgeehan151

Reaction score
Hi all,

A quick help thread. I brewed my second batch and followed advice from lhbs. We brewed and went right on top of the yeast cake and that's working out well. But I also harvested about 16 oz of trub to also get another use out the same yeast. I didn't "wash" or dump, I just took a sanitized 16 oz. mason jar and dipped in the trub to fill. Is this a problem? Do I need to make a starter to reuse? Or just warm up and put in the bottom of the fermenter and go I. Top? Planning on brewing Friday. Thank

Dump and go. 16 oz is overkill. There is a calculator... Mrmalty.com iirc

And by overkill, i mean no worries... Dump and go. Relax.

And it is always better to sanitize and dip, then dump that into a sanitized bucket and add your next batch as opposed to dumping on the cake in the same bucket. Takes only a little more time and is less microbiologically risky. If you are into limiting risk.

I hope you sanitized the jar before "dipping"? If not I would hesitate to use it at all.

Another source of information is yeastcalc.com.

Thanks! I had the entire jar lid and cap submerged in starsan so I was sanitized.

And by "dipped". I literally dipped the jar into the trub to fill, capped screwed tight and then rinsed off into fridge.

So I'll just let the beasties warm up and into a sanitized ferment bucket then dump the wort. Gotta say, awesome getting 3 uses out of my first ever package of yeast!

Look into freezing your yeast. I do 25% yeast 25% glycerin and 50% water in 20 ml vials. I make a starter a little larger than needed for my brew then use some of the extra to make 4 vials to freeze. If I made 4 new vials each time from the original to 4 generations I could brew 256 batches from the original package! And some brewers will go to 10 generations. That would be 1,048,576 batches from 1 package or vial of yeast.

Thanks kh!!!

Is there anyway you could pm me the process just alittle more in depth for the 4x freeze. Gnat would simply ROCK!

Thanks!

Back