Newb questions about light and temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_beer_nerd

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm brand new. I brewed up a batch of something. Brewer's best Belgian IPA kit on Monday.

I've done a ton of reading already on this new hobby. I apologize if these are one of those been asked a thousand times questions but here goes:

1. I have my beer in a plastic fermenting bucket right now. Despite what is lower than optimal fermenting temperature there are good signs of fermentation, i.e., good bubbling in the air lock. The bucket is in my garage now and it's been cold here (New Orleans). I suspect it to be around the 55-58 degree range. Will this affect anything?

2. I've read about keeping beer away from light. Specifically sunlight and fluorescent lights. When I rack the beer into a carboy for secondary fermentation do I need to worry about the fluorescent lights in my garage? They are of the corkscrew variety and covered by a glass opaque dome fixture type thing. It seems to me that racking won't take very long but will even minimal exposure to this type of light screw everything up?

All help appreciated.

Quick answers...may be right, may be misinformed ;)
1) Depends on the yeast...the fermenting beer will be a slightly higher temp than ambient temp, dunno if 55-58* will slow it down considerably or not ... might lengthen ferment time on ale yeast...maybe cover it with an old sweatshirt or blanket??? Or maybe bring it in the house?? What is the indoor temp?
2) Minimal exposure shouldn't be a problem...again, cover the carboy with a shirt or whatever, should be fine....do you need to rack to secondary??? - it's not neccessary the majority of times, imo

1. I suspect it to be around the 55-58 degree range. Will this affect anything?

What kind of yeast did you use? Different yeasts can produce different flavors if too hot or too cold.

2. When I rack the beer into a carboy for secondary fermentation do I need to worry about the fluorescent lights in my garage?

Just put a t-shirt over it and you will be fine. If it is your first beer, I'd suggest just leaving it in primary until it is ready to be bottled or kegged. Unless you are putting it in secondary for a specific reason, to dry hop or something but even then it isn't necessary. If you are going to rack it over to the carboy though, just be sure you sanitize well (Starsan) and transfer gentle.

Good luck buddy. Keep us updated and don't be afraid to ask questions.

I'm racking it because 1. the beer kit directions suggested it and 2. I primary fermented it in my bottling bucket so I can't see how I will bottle if I just leave it in the primary bucket and 3. I just want to seem like all fancy in front of my friends if they come over

as to the yeast, I'm not sure what kind it is or was...it just came with the kit, it said specifically not to rehydrate it so I didn't

Back