Newb Question from Experiences brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBSCZONER

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a newb question. Ive been around the forums for a few years and been brewing a bit longer, so I feel kinda funny asking this haha.

Is there any problem with fermenting in my bottling bucket? and still using it to bottle later? Im slightly worried about the yeast harboring itself and infecting later batches, kind of the same way sour bugs do. I have never done this in my years of brewing, and finally find myself In the situation where I need to. I plan to brew 6.5 gallons of Barleywine to fill a barrel, and my bottling bucket is the only vessel I have that is big enough. I HAVE to brew within the next few days since I already made a starter. Let me know and thanks for the time Guys, I appreciate it.

My HBSS said there is nothing wrong with doing this. I'm new to brewing myself, but when I was purchasing all the equipment that exact topic came up. The only disadvantage obviously being there's no secondary fermenter.

Hey guys, I have a newb question. Ive been around the forums for a few years and been brewing a bit longer, so I feel kinda funny asking this haha.

Is there any problem with fermenting in my bottling bucket? and still using it to bottle later? Im slightly worried about the yeast harboring itself and infecting later batches, kind of the same way sour bugs do. I have never done this in my years of brewing, and finally find myself In the situation where I need to. I plan to brew 6.5 gallons of Barleywine to fill a barrel, and my bottling bucket is the only vessel I have that is big enough. I HAVE to brew within the next few days since I already made a starter. Let me know and thanks for the time Guys, I appreciate it.

Buckets are cheap. Why not buy one for Aging? Properly cleaning and sanitizing your bucket and spigot without scouring it should prevent any yeast growth. You can also try filling your bucket with +140 degree water to kill off any active or dormant yeast. I have not tried any of the above, they are merely suggestions.

I do this all the time. Works fine. Just make sure you clean and sanitize everything.

I had a good size brew day where we realized we were short a fermenter and used my bottle bucket. Came out just fine.

Normally I'm using all glass carboys, but I wasn't going to let that wort go to waste!

Latest posts

Back