New Zealand Pale Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbattisti

Reaction score
So here is my first time posting a recipe, so go easy on m . I obtained a bunch of hops recently, and included where 4 oz of Kohatu and 4 oz of Wai-Iti. Never having brewed with them or tasted any brew with them, I figured I'd start with a basic pale ale recipe, brew it 2 times with each of the hops. I just brewed this friday, and it's fermenting away nicely. I plan to do the Wai-Iti version in a week or two. I'll be sure to come back and update on the taste differences.

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.6 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.8 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt 5L (5.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.8 %
1.00 oz Green Bullet [13.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 42.3 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
0.50 tbsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 7 -
1.00 oz Kohatu [6.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 4.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Kohatu [6.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) [25.00 ml] Yeast 10 -
2.00 oz Kohatu [6.80 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

I love NZ pale ales - I especially like Nelson Sauvign hops. I'm not familiar with Kohatu but can't wait to hear your report back on the results.

I moved this from the recipe database to the recipes and ingredients sub forum. The recipe database is for tried-and-true recipes that you've brewed and want to share with others, the recipe/ingredient subforum is for recipes like this, that you are experimenting with.

Good luck with the brew, it sounds good!

Thanks for the forum lesson Pappers ;)

I too, like Nelson Sauvign. I've brewed many batches with it. I've never tried Green Bullet, so figured why not this time.

For the Wai-iti version, I was thinking of FWH with Green Bullet instead of adding at 60. I think that might bias the "study" tho..

Just tapped my Kohatu - Nelson Sauvin pale ale. The Kohatu really delivered some Citra like tropical fruit character. It easily stood up to the NS. My hops were 13g NS for bittering, then a 50/50 blends with 10g ea at 15min, 50g each at flameout and 40g each dryhop in 5 gallons.

Tasty stuff.

From the Farmhouse Brewing website descriptions:

Kohatu
Current AA__8.1%
This is a big aroma hop with intense floral characters of pine needles and tropical fruit. Trial brews brewed with this hop were only moderately hoped and displayed great quality of bitterness and well rounded fruity hop characters.

Green Bullet
Current AA__12.2%
Although a new variety in relative terms, Green Bullet delivers a very real, traditional bittering quality and hop flavour. A flagship within the New Zealand brewing industry this hop has contributed to several International Brewing Industry Awards. Considered a bittering variety typically for Lager, Green Bullet also carries a solid Styrian characteristic of subtle spiciness which finds it at home in a freshly drawn pint of Bitter or an Irish-style Dry Stout.
Use in: Lager, English Ales.

Just tapped my Kohatu - Nelson Sauvin pale ale. The Kohatu really delivered some Citra like tropical fruit character. It easily stood up to the NS. My hops were 13g NS for bittering, then a 50/50 blends with 10g ea at 15min, 50g each at flameout and 40g each dryhop in 5 gallons.

Tasty stuff.

That sounds really interesting. Now I'm thinking I should do a KPA (Kiwi Pale Ale) ;)

I made a waiti pale ale and would definitely not use it on its own again. Nothing bad or offensive about it, just not a lot going on flavor wise. I like it but it needs to play more of a supporting role in pales IPAs etc..

Looking forward to the OP's updates.

I picked up 4 oz of Rakau and 4 oz Nelson Sauvin that I plan to use in two separate beers. One is going to be an "ANZUS Pale Ale" with Rakau, Summer, and Cascade; the other is a "Half-Nelson Pale Ale" with Nelson and Cascade/Centennial. I'm pretty stoked about trying out both of these, and I'll have plenty of leftovers to use in a subsequent beer.

Only vaguely on topic, but Kiwi Rising by Jack Abby brewing is a great beer with NZ hops.

Back