New Zealand DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlonardo

EngiBEERing Since 2012
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on a DIPA recipe I've come up with. Never brewed the style, but bought a pound of Wakatu hops and wanted to put them to good use. I've already used a chunk of them in a Vienna SMaSH that is currently being dry hopped, and I'm digging the aroma/flavor already. Here's what I've come up with:

5.5 gal
80% eff.

Grains:
12.5 lb 2-row
.75 lb White Wheat
0.75 lb Crystal 60
1 lb Sugar

Hop Schedule:
2.5 oz. Wakatu - 60 min
2 oz. Wakatu - 5 min
1 oz. Nelson Sauvin - 5 min
2 oz. Wakatu - 20 min whirlpool
1.5 oz. Nelson Sauvin - 20 min whirlpool
4 oz .Wakatu - 7 day dry hop
1.5 oz. Nelson Sauvin - 7 day dry hop

Mash around 148-150. Primary 1.5-2 ish weeks, depending on how fermentation goes, then add dry hops. US-05 yeast.

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks in advance :ban::mug:

Personally I think that Nelson Sauvin hops can very easily take over a beer. I have an APA that just finished carbing up that has some Nelson in it and they definitely overpower all the other flavors present.

That being said, I know some people that love that flavor. So if you've used them before then I would go for it!

I've never used Nelson myself, but have enjoyed a few beers that showcased them. I've heard the same about them overpowering other hops which is part of the reason I have them listed at smaller quantities. I'd like a nice balance between the hops - would it be wise to cut them back even more?

Thanks for looking over the recipe by the way!

I think you should be good as is. It is a much smaller percentage of Nelson to the Wakatu, I just thought I'd mention Nelson taking over one of my brews since you said you loved the aroma and flavor from the Wakatu SMaSH you brewed already.

But if you have had a few brews that showcased Nelson and liked it then I wouldn't be too worried about it. It definitely seems to be a love/hate thing with Nelson. More power to you if you like 'em!

Back