New Weber Smokey Mountain, Inaugural Smoke (with pictures)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawaiianbrewer

Reaction score
I ordered the 18.5 wsm well over a month ago through the only weber dealer on our island. Thinking that its just the wife and kid and I am new to this, I couldn't justify the need for the larger one and I was really concerned about the fuel usage and extra cost if I was only smoking small amounts. After delay after delay, the dude offered me his only remaining 22.5 floor model at cost this weekend, or I could wait possibly 2 more weeks for the smaller to come in. It was $20 more than retail of the smaller one, obviously a no-brainer! Now I'm a proud new WSM owner. Broke her in with some ribs and chicken and beans yesterday and after putting everything on, I am so happy with the decision to go larger. Everything turned out even better than I expected too. Wife is for once happy with a "hobby purchase (investment ;)" I made and raved about the meal all night and even as she was making her lunch for today. I just found a dangerous new hobby boys! This is AWESOME!

photo (13).jpg

photo (12).jpg

photo (8).jpg

photo (10).jpg

photo (9).jpg

Those work pretty good.

There is a ton of nifty gadgets like automatic temperature controls, and all sorts of tips and tricks you can find for using them.

I am a smoked chicken junky. I got into my gas grill for too long, then I switched back to the smoker and knew what I had been missing. Wow you got that smoker for a good price, way to go!!!!

Just awesome dude! I got a 18.5 inch model back this summer, and have been using the hell out of it. It just requires so little maintenance.

I did a 7lb pork shoulder with hickory chunks for the smoke the other week, and never had to change charcoal for the entire 9hrs. I used the Minion method. If you haven't already, check out virtualweberbullet.com . There's a whole forum/community dedicated to this bad boy!

Happy smoking!

Thanks for the advice! Used virtualweberbullet.com for a lot of pre-purchase info and comparisons between the two sizes. I agree, so much helpful info on there.

Just bought a bunch of turkeys (read 6) from the local market selling them for $4.88 for 14-16lb birds, limit 2 a day for a week. I went to town. This thing will get some good use real soon. I'll try to post a picture of this thing loaded up if its a success.

Back