My new WSM, wow.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr72023

Reaction score
So, I am doing my first smoke with my Weber Smokey Mountain cooker. I did a lot of research before making the buy. Could have bought more expensive equipment but, on YouTube, saw a guy named, Harry Soo, who has won more than 200 first place cooking competitions using only his Smokey Mountain cookers in the last 10 years.

It only took me about an hour to learn how to maintain a level temp. Thanks to the videos I watched.

This thing is amazing. Being the mental type with OCD, I initially had to watch it constantly. The temperature may vary by about 1 or 2 degrees when I check it every 15 minutes, now that I don't monitor it so close.

I spent two months trying to talk myself out of this purchase knowing that I would be spending massive money on expensive pieces of meat. However, I am learning that spending a little time cutting meat into the expensive cuts can save on cost. Right now I have a St. Louis rack smoking and the off fall, short ribs, etc., so, no waste and saved 2 bucks a pound by cutting down a full spare rib. It only took about 5 minutes.

Getting ready to do a "competition" foil wrap and finish this stuff off.

I smoked a lot about five years ago so this is not my first rodeo. However, by watching the videos and having a piece of equipment like the WSM, I am sure my friends and neighbors will enjoy this uptick in my cabilities.

Gotta go do the foil wrap. The ribs are looking magnificent.

Excellent! Let us know how they turn out and post pictures.

It's coming up on 2 years since I got my WSM and I'm loving it. I've done ribs, butt (did two 9 pounders last night) and chicken so far. I get full spare ribs and trim them down some too. I save and freeze the trimmings for cooking beans in the colder months.

According to my neighbors, I did great. However, I know I need improvement.

I live in an apartment complex of single story fourplexes. I sliced up individual St. Louis ribs and put them on a plate and went door to door giving them away one at a time. Didn't have a single complaint but, who would complain about a free, fresh smoked rib?

They actually did end up being competition style in that they weren't falling off the bone but it was nearly impossible to pick up the slab because it was so tender it nearly broke into pieces. Didn't have as much smoke ring as I wanted but, it was there, top and bottom. Simple bites resulted in a perfectly clean bone.

I couldn't be happier with my WSM. This thing is amazing. I think I will move up to the "devil meat", chicken, next weekend. Probably won't get any where near right the first try but, gotta give it a go. The pro's say chicken is harder than brisket but, I don't have the nerve to try brisket yet. I can get a huge amount of chicken for less than 10 bucks as opposed to nearly a hundred for a prime brisket or, God forbid, a Waygu brisket. Don't want to spend the big bucks until I have this smoker figured out all the way.

If you're experimenting, pork shoulder is easy and cheap. Poultry is easily oversmoked. Brisket isn't that hard, but it can be too dry (I think foil method is a must).

The WSM can do a lot of stuff. I think I've smoked all of gods creations on there :) Smoked a couple of pork belly's 2 weeks ago - bacon

upload_2018-9-15_22-30-40.png

If you're experimenting, pork shoulder is easy and cheap. Poultry is easily oversmoked. Brisket isn't that hard, but it can be too dry (I think foil method is a must).

The WSM can do a lot of stuff. I think I've smoked all of gods creations on there :) Smoked a couple of pork belly's 2 weeks ago - bacon

View attachment 588443
To me that setup just looks perfect. Love the meat hook factor. Do you hang steaks like that? I think a secret lies in the smoke coming from directly below to above and through, just like that is showing vs side.

I have the expandable smoking rack for my 22” as well. I haven’t hung steaks but ribs, turkey, chicken, bacon, sausage, etc. I agree hanging directly over the fire (PBC style) is special.

To me that setup just looks perfect. Love the meat hook factor. Do you hang steaks like that? I think a secret lies in the smoke coming from directly below to above and through, just like that is showing vs side.

I've only used the hooks for bacon. But I've used that rack for all sorts of stuff - mainly sausages. Here's some andouille, 'cause pics.

_mg_1121-66346.jpg

I made a Turkey for Thanksgiving on my 18 inch WSM. Best bird I ever ate!
20181122_110930~2.jpeg

Back