New Wave Environ plastic 5 gal bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The big sticking point with re-purposing water bottles for fermenters is to make sure that they are PET or PETE with a one in the recycling symbol on the bottom and that they don't have a nasty looking seam where the two halves of the bottle were joined. A "wide" seam can be difficult to clean and harbor bacteria that would *LOVE* to ruin your batch.

I have switched from Polar Springs water to Manodnock Spring water for the water cooler at work. Reason being the Polar springs bottles have a 5 $ deposit and are #7 . Manodnock has no deposit and is under 5$ at Sam's is #1 Pete and the seam is real small and smooth but they are only 4 gallons. We use about 2 a month so I have 4 or 5 already . Great for Apfelwein.

water.jpg

The main reason cited in the past for objections to using the Polycarbnate bottles was gas permeablitiy. The main reason now is the Bisphenol A.

You can google Bisphenol A here's the link to Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

What's so wrong about beer laced with a healthy dose of Bisphenol-A?

Worst that can happen is that you grow a nice pair of boobs. What's better than drinking beer and playing with boobs? I mean hey, if they are your own at least you won;t have to buy a dinner to get to cop a feel.:tank:

humm... I think I'd like to skip the "permanent changes to genital tract" issues:eek:, and shell out the extra $ for something else. Too bad.

The main reason cited in the past for objections to using the Polycarbnate bottles was gas permeablitiy. The main reason now is the Bisphenol A.

You can google Bisphenol A here's the link to Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

Per the wiki link, PET or PETE bottles do NOT contain Bisphenol A and as such will not make you grow boobs.

:ban:

Per the wiki link, PET or PETE bottles do NOT contain Bisphenol A and as such will not make you grow boobs.

Hummm....I make my own beer....I cook my own food.....I pay my own Bills....If I could grow some boobies...there would be no need for SWMBO?

Just Kidding and in case she ever figures out how to log onto HBT.com....I Love My Wife Very much.

Hummm....I make my own beer....I cook my own food.....I pay my own Bills....If I could grow some boobies...there would be no need for SWMBO? Just Kidding and in case she ever figures out how to log onto HBT.com....I Love My Wife Very much.

Gotcha!!!! Quote worthy in soooo many different versions...in and out of context...

bwahahahahaha!!!!

*heads off to the quote thread* :D

That's true but PETE bottles are not Polycarbonate bottles and that was the OP's question. PETE or PET bottles are polyethylene terephthalate.

According to this site :

www.pprc.org/research/epp/Water Bottles EPP Rapid Research.pdf

PETE leaches DEHA, acetaldehyde both of which are classified as possible carcinogens. They also leach antimony.

And according to this site:

http://www.bisphenol-a.org/whatsNew/20080205.html

Bisphenol-A is not a problem, so caveat emptor.

I have switched from Polar Springs water to Manodnock Spring water for the water cooler at work. Reason being the Polar springs bottles have a 5 $ deposit and are #7 . Manodnock has no deposit and is under 5$ at Sam's is #1 Pete and the seam is real small and smooth but they are only 4 gallons. We use about 2 a month so I have 4 or 5 already . Great for Apfelwein.

water.jpg

I found a bottle like you describe - 15 liters (PET 1) - in our local discount grocer for $2.99, including the water. I'm going to give it a try for my next batch of Apfelwein. It is the perfect size since my Sams Club sells cases of 12, 1.2 liter cans (14.4 liters total) of Allen's Apple juice for about $10.

P

PET1waterbottle.jpg

Back