New to wine making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmcoklahoma

Reaction score
Hi all, ive been toying with the idea of making wine for a while now but not sure how to start. My LHBS has the stuff to make several kinds and the nice lady there is knowledgeable but more of a beer person.
So what would be a good basic wine? I know some folks who make their own, on of them makes a sweet flavor with a high alchohal content... Its a creeper. Im thinking maybe a strawberry or cherry flavor to start, what say you good people?

Are you talking about kits? I'd recommend doing a kit first because they are hard to screw up and if you don't have local help you do get an 800 number to call. Of course some of the posters here know a lot about wine.

Can't help you with flavor choice as that's personal preference and I'd never do a sweet wine. My wine tastes are Big, red, dry wines.... Cabernet, Pinot Noir, Malbec/Syrah, etc.

Are you saying that YOU want sweet high abv? Because my cherry pie wine is always well received. And I recently did a mixed berry that turned out GREAT in under 2 mos. :D

I have several "country" wines posted, that are simple and easy to make. You can start with ingredients from the grocery store, like Welch's juice, for an apple wine or a blackberry wine.

If you want more of a commercial wine, a wine kit is a great place to start.

brazedowl said:
Are you saying that YOU want sweet high abv? Because my cherry pie wine is always well received. And I recently did a mixed berry that turned out GREAT in under 2 mos. :D

Could you post you cherry pie recipe that sounds good, I have 5 empty 1 gallon jugs not doing anything right now. Thanks

usmcoklahoma you should try making Ed Worts apfelwein it's awesome. You can make it dry or sweet and with some cinnamon it's a great winter drink.

I got all my stuff together yesterday so this weekend will be a great time to brew. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back