New to this but excited about learning - Advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgprelude

Reaction score
I have a very basic question that I havn't seen addressed yet.

I'm contiplating which home brew kit to get but not sure if I should go with the budget or spend the extra money since I might do this long term.

I'm contiplating between either getting Coopers microbrew kit ~$80 or spending slightly more and buying a larger kit like this Amazon.com: Home Beer Brewing Equipment Kit with American Lager: Kitchen & Dining.

What are the negatives to going with one vs. the other. Will I be satisfied with cooper long term?

On a side note: How many people try to brew beer and then decide after first or second time this isn't for them and they just go back to purchasing premade beer? I've never known anyone who did this so I don't know how this will turnout and if it will be a hobby that I will continue to enjoy.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever kit you get, make sure you get an auto siphon too.
My best advice is to search and read every question you have on HBT. If you cover all the bases, you can't go wrong.
I've been brewing for two months and I've made 7 batches so far.
You don't have to invest too much money in this hobby to initially get started. You won't know your level of beer making desire until you try it and if it's not for you, you won't be out that much.

Hey welcome aboard....

First the amazon kit is not a good deal, you can find something much better for your money. Try something like this:

Home Brew Equipment Kit with Brewing Beer Making DVD - eBay (item 350148644626 end time May-03-09 13:29:41 PDT)

Compare All Kits :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Also, I am relatively new to this, but man I got bit by the bug. I am purchasing all sorts of stuff to try to improve my setup. My advice is if you are really excited about this as hobby, reading a lot about it, and thinking about it all the time.....then you'll likely stick it out. You have to decide how serious you are, but I would say it is very fun, and I wouldn't want to walk away from it.

Welcome to an amazing hobby. If you're still trying to decide whether or not this if for you, and you don't know anyone who homebrews, try looking up your local homebrew club and/or local homebrew shop. They may have brewing demonstrations so you can go and see what it's like.

I find a lot of similarities between cooking and brewing. I (and many brewers) have a setup that lets me brew outdoors, and I say, if you like relaxing on the back porch/driveway, having a few beers, and barbecuing, then you'll really like homebrewing!

As for the kits, again I would suggest locating a local homebrew shop (if there's on in your area). If not, check out morebeer.com and northernbrewer.com as those are popular, reliable online retailers who can sell beginner's kits at varying price points. I dont know anything about the particular kits you mentioned.

I paid $55 for my kit which did not come with ingredients or a brewpot. I would not pay a dime more than that unless it included those things.

I also would recommend not necessarily going on the cheaper side... but I would recommend you don't buy anything more than you really need the first time. A barebones kit is really all you need to start out with. This kit has everything except thermometer, ingredients, and a brewpot: Brewer's Best Equipment Kits. Not plugging this particular kit, just saying this is all you need your first time.

From what I've seen, the large majority of people that start this hobby come to love it, but the truth is a few here and there don't, and I wouldn't want you to invest $100 on a hobby you decide you don't like. Try it once, if you decide you like it, then start buying your fancy "upgrades". It's a lot more fun to upgrade slowly than to drop a lot of money all at once and have to use the same equipment the whole time anyways.

I think most people that stop brewing are people that are very, very busy. A few decide it's not fun, but most people who try it love it. I think a fair proportion of people (myself included) find themselves brewing beer faster than they can drink it.

Also, side note, I would not try brewing a lager for your first beer. Lagers have an added learning curve that you just don't need to deal with your first time.

I guess the biggest question I have is will I be disappointed if I go with the Cooper, I guess similar to MrBeer (that everyone talks about), vs a full setup? Whats the advantage of a full setup vs. the buget all in one gigs?

while a bare bones kit may be all you need, in my opinion you stand a better chance of getting the results you want with a few basic upgrades.

-starsan
-4-5 gallon brew pot
-wort chiller
-auto siphon
-strip thermometer/candy thermometer

JMO

Basic :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies is the kit i started with, + a glass carboy.

Just add, a brew pot, sanatizer, and choice of bottle/keg and you should be good to go.

An autosiphon is a great first upgrade. For a new starter, an ice bath should work just fine.
If you love it, then you can go whatever direction you want on upgrades!

The offer i always make to my friends is....I take them to the LHBS, they pay for everything to make the next batch of beer, come back to my house, and brew it with my help and gear (I get a 12pack for my time). Everyone has started brewing on their own after 1 or 2 sessions of this with me.

I guess the biggest question I have is will I be disappointed if I go with the Cooper, I guess similar to MrBeer (that everyone talks about), vs a full setup? Whats the advantage of a full setup vs. the buget all in one gigs?

if you think you're in this for the long haul, I would strongly discourage you from going with anything like 'Mr. Beer' or any sort of proprietary system.

All you need is a big stock pot, a 6-7 gallon bucket, a 5 gallon carboy, and some misc odds and ends to get going with extract and partial mashing.

and I wouldn't get my beer supplies off Amazon.com any more than I'd buy them from wal-mart. beer making is a specialty thing...big box stores just don't try hard on their offerings.

try NORTHERN BREWER for more ideas/prices.

Back