New to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamb6411

Reaction score
Ok so I have just recently within the past month starting kegging beer and I have an octoberfest and red IPA on tap that has been outstanding. Just recently I brewed a winter lager that I have to put in the same fridge I use for my kegs. With that being said the kegs got moved around a bit and for the next week or so I have to have my fridge temperature at about 52 degrees when it has normally been sitting at 38. It has been 2 days since I raised the temperature and I went to pour a pint last night out of both taps and I am getting nothing but foam now and the beer tastes a little flat. So my question is with the temperature change and the moving around of the kegs has that caused my beer to go flat and if so do I need to reforce carbonate for a couple days and then set dispensing psi higher than I had before (which was between 12-13). Any help would be appreciated I do not want to keep trying different things and wasting beer because both of these brews are almost gone and I have made a rookie mistake with kegging by not having a brew in the making when kegging the others to replace them when they are empty.

You will need higher pressure to maintain proper carbonation in a warmer freezer. A longer serving line should also help, unless you have overcarbonated beer at the moment. The temp may also be an issue, but you can try a longer serving line to see if that helps.

Here is a chart for temp and PSI to serve the beer at the desired volume of co2
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/klyph333/Brewing/CARBONATION.png

CARBONATION.png

Ok so I have just recently within the past month starting kegging beer and I have an octoberfest and red IPA on tap that has been outstanding. Just recently I brewed a winter lager that I have to put in the same fridge I use for my kegs. With that being said the kegs got moved around a bit and for the next week or so I have to have my fridge temperature at about 52 degrees when it has normally been sitting at 38. It has been 2 days since I raised the temperature and I went to pour a pint last night out of both taps and I am getting nothing but foam now and the beer tastes a little flat. So my question is with the temperature change and the moving around of the kegs has that caused my beer to go flat and if so do I need to reforce carbonate for a couple days and then set dispensing psi higher than I had before (which was between 12-13). Any help would be appreciated I do not want to keep trying different things and wasting beer because both of these brews are almost gone and I have made a rookie mistake with kegging by not having a brew in the making when kegging the others to replace them when they are empty.

Ok, this is probably a temperature issue. According to the chart on this site (http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/), which is the best beer line length calculator available, it says that for a beer carbonated to 2.48 volumes at 38°, it requires 11 psi. To get the same carbonation at 52°, it requires 17 psi, which is a considerable difference. If you were to increase the pressure from 11 to 17,most likely you'll notice some foaming issues, which can be fixed with longer lines. I setup a kegorator according to the site linked and the hoses ended up being around 16 ft each, which sounds crazy, but pours perfect now. If you're going to be changing the temperature, I would shoot for the longer length to keep the foam down when the temperature is higher. This will slow down the pour but will work when the temp is back to your normal serving pressure as well as the higher lagering temp. For example, if you have a line that's 8 ft long at 38°, it would need to be 14 ft long at 52°, according to the calculator and the carb chart.

Edit : looks like a few people beat me to it but the chart is the same.

Ok I totally forgot about the length of the lines and i was suspecting a higher psi i just didnt want to go trying things and wasting beer. Thanks for all the input I will adjust the psi for a couple days and when i am able to make it to the local homebrew store saturday i will get some longer lines and let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for the input

Back