New to Conical Yeast Management - Observations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkedOut

FunkedOver
Reaction score
Just started fermenting in a conical. Only 3 batches under my belt so far.
I've made some curious observations thus far and thought it a good topic for discussion.
I stand to learn as much and probably more than I will share.

15 gallons batches of lager is my game. I start with 16 gallons in the fermenter.
I have a quart-sized container that attaches to my dump valve with a 2" TC ferrule.
No elbow, no sight glass, I just attach this transparent container right to the dump valve.

After pitching cold (~48*F), all the yeast collects in the container (valve stays open).
After a couple of days, most of the yeast get their wings and travel up the fermenter.
Only a thin smear of lazy/dead yeast remain on the bottom of the container.
I take the opportunity to close the dump valve, clean out the container, and reattach, opening the dump valve.
Sure, some air gets in, but I'm not worried about a bit oxygen at this point.

Here is the funny observation...
24 hours later, there is that thin smear on the bottom of the container again.
I have doubts now, if those are lazy/dead yeasts, or essential to the colony.

Either way, this process still seems like a good idea, getting rid of any dead yeasts from the repitch.
It takes me about 1 month from batch to batch.
And not all of the yeast fits in this container. I'd say about another cup of yeast is left in the cone after the container is filled up.

I guess if I have to pose a question, it would be, "What is this layer behavior?"
But discussion encouraged in all directions from here.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

IMO there are still significant viable yeast in that slurry you are dumping. I perform basically the same task, I remove a large portion of the trunk and sleeping yeast in a sanitized container. Then I place in the beer fridge to cold crash for several days. I then pour off the majority of the trunk keeping the whiter sentiment on the bottom. That sentiment is mostly good yeast awaiting their next batch to ferment. You can go through the task of washing the yeast or as I do simply make a new starter using the sleeping critters captured from the previous brew.

I think you're right. Not all of the yeast hanging out at the bottom are dead, but all the dead are hanging out at the bottom.

Rereading my post, I left out a few details of my yeast management.
After the dump described in my original post above, the container is reattached and the valve remains open for the rest of fermentation.
By the time fermentation is complete, and I bring the temp down to 32*F for a few days, there is a nice, white, compact slurry that fills that quart-sized container, plus another cup or so in the cone.
I cap that 2/3 of the yeast cake and pitch it straight into the next batch.

In actuality, this 3rd batch in the conical, is the first batch that I pitch this way, and it has taken off great.
We'll see how the beer turns out.
I'm trying to find an easy form of yeast management that is good and repeatable.
I'd rather avoid washing or collecting in the cone to dump into a container later.

Back