New to Cider; advice needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hernando

Reaction score
Hi this will be my first attempt to doing a cider. I had Angry Orchard Crisp Hard Cider and posted on that thread with no replies so I figured I would start a new thread since I would like to get this going no later than tomorrow. Below is my post that has been copied and pasted:

So I had their [Angry Orchards] Crisp for the first time yesterday and loved it. This will be my first attempt at a cider and I did some poking around looking for specifics and found that they use a blend of sweet apples and bittersweet apples that provide a bit of bitterness and tannins. With no real access to bittersweet apples I am wondering if I could use crabapples instead. I don't have a fruit press but was wondering if I could use my juicer or blender? It was also stated they age on wood, any recommended wood types?

I would juice 3-4 lbs of crabapples remixing the juice and pulp. Add 1 c of Rasins mashed in blender, Add my pectic enzyme to the blended fruit and let sit for 24 hours.
After the 24 hours have elapsed add 1 lb of pilloncillo ( prefer this flavor over brown sugar) & 1 campden tablet and let sit for an additional 24 hours.

Add the pulp/juice from crabapples to fermenter.
Add 3-4 gallons Apple Juice
Pitch Nottingham or WLP039 (has anyone tried the WLP720 for a less dry cider and perhaps little to no backsweetening needed?)
Move to Secondary and add Wood dowel or chips

After fermentation is complete add 1-2 cans of concentrate (to taste) Carb approx 24 hours (to taste) and then pasteurize. I understood I could pasteurize in the dishwasher running the rinse and heat dry cycle; is this the recommended and easiest way?

As I stated, this is my first attempt at cider and I really don't know but would like to get as close as possible to the Angry Orchard Crisp and I am speculating from what I've read ( http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/05/cider-interview-angry-orchards-david-sipes.html ). This is a shot in the dark for me. I appreciate any feedback on any of this.

I think people have been scared off by the number of post you have made, and by the fact it sounds like you know what your doing already.... IMHO, crab apples sound nasty!

I have made cider from straight crab apples and it turned out great. It is more of an aperitif than a quaff. Having said that, I blend about 10% crab apples in my cider to give it some tannins and some acid. I have found that crab apple juice will come in at about 17 brix, meaning that even though it is really sour from all the acid, it actually has a lot of sugar in it.

If you want to add some other tart apples to your mix you could also try granny smith or pippen--a couple that are often available in the supermarket. I can also recommend you try to get some McIntosh or Gravenstein apples or juice for aroma.

Good luck!

I've also used the WLP 720 for cider thinking it would leave residual sweetness but it has fermented out totally dry every time. I've needed to add wine conditioner to balance the acid. I think 720 might leave sweetness in a high gravity mead, but I have never tried doing a sweet mead with a starting gravity above 25 brix.

Finally, you could try some untoasted american oak chips in the secondary, and periodically taste and smell it until you like the result. The oak would add a bit of tannic flavor too.

Ok it wasn't final. I have used frozen apple juice concentrate in the past and forgot to take into consideration that it usually has a (relatively) lot of ascorbic acid in it, so beware--you can end up with a drink that is out of balance.

I think people have been scared off by the number of post you have made, and by the fact it sounds like you know what your doing already.... IMHO, crab apples sound nasty!

I don't understand why a post number would scare people off. I brew beer so sure my post count is high. I am glad that my research makes me sound knowledgeable but research doesn't replace the knowledge of asking someone whom has done this process, to verify if I got it right.

Ok it wasn't final. I have used frozen apple juice concentrate in the past and forgot to take into consideration that it usually has a (relatively) lot of ascorbic acid in it, so beware--you can end up with a drink that is out of balance.
RobertRGeorge, I thank you for your time and will definitely take your recommendations. I appreciate your insight. :mug:

Latest posts

Back