New to Brewing in Florida.. Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rounder999

Reaction score
I am ready to take the plunge to begin brewing. Here in Florida temperatures are a bit high even indoors, in the 78-79 range. What can anyone recommend as to how to get started, what equipment to buy and what ingredients will work best given my warm climate?

You're going to need a spare fridge or freezer with a temp controller on it to control temperatures, otherwise leave your A/C on and cool it down to 68-70 in your place. If you have floor A/C vents, you can make a box out of foam board insulation from your local DIY store and set the box over the fermenter with all or part of the vent under the box.

As for ingredients, once you have temp control down, you can use anything you want normally as far as I'm concerned.

There are no changes to actually brewing your beer. Read How to Brew (available free online) to learn all the basics you will need for making your first beer. Pick up any equipment starter kit, Austin Home Brew and Northern Brewer both have good ones at reasonable prices, and a stock pot that can hold at least 20 qts.

Where your warm climate will affect you is during fermentation, there are several methods for maintaining temps in the 60-70 degree range (needed for ales):

1. Wet T-Shirt: Simply soak a t-shirt or towel in cold water and wrap it around your fermenter, re-wet as needed. For increased cooling, point a floor fan at the wrapped fermenter.

2. Swamp Bucket: Get a large cooler (Igloo Ice Cube works well), put your fermenter inside, and fill with either bottles of ice or an ice water bath (you can also do this in your bathtub but then you can't use your bathtub during fermentation). For best results make a new lid out of polystyrene insulation.

3. Make a fermentation chiller: Do a google search for son of a chiller to get a PDF with instructions on how to do this.

4. Chest Freezer: Purchase a chest freezer large enough to hold your fementer and a temperature controller. Use this to maintain constant temps.

These methods are listed in order of price/complexity. For your first brew I recommend the wet t-shirt/towel method. Then, once you become an addict like us, you can choose whichever of the other 3 methods most suits you; personally I use the swamp bucket with bottles of ice, I am able to maintain lagering temps when the ambient air is 80 degrees by swapping out the bottles once a day.

Good luck with your brewing and welcome to HBT!

I got the kit and recipe kits from Austin Homebrew Supply (cheap flat rate shipping) - which has been great and includes everything I need

I had the same temperature issues (I'm in Texas). Read the thread.

The Rubbermaid with water and daily ice packs worked great.

bath.jpg

New to brewing myself and living in Florida I have been dealing with temperature issues... Luckily we keep our apartment at 72 so that helps a bit. So far a Rubbermaid full of water and a tshirt over my carboy keeps the temps a constant 65-68 during fermentation. A simple wet tshirt outside of a carboy keeps temps just at 70. (Both with a fan blowing on them). I plan on building the swamp bucket soon and giving that a try.

New to brewing myself and living in Florida I have been dealing with temperature issues... Luckily we keep our apartment at 72 so that helps a bit. So far a Rubbermaid full of water and a tshirt over my carboy keeps the temps a constant 65-68 during fermentation. A simple wet tshirt outside of a carboy keeps temps just at 70. (Both with a fan blowing on them). I plan on building the swamp bucket soon and giving that a try.

Yeah, it's too humid down here for the tee-shirt trick to work well.

I got the kit and recipe kits from Austin Homebrew Supply (cheap flat rate shipping) - which has been great and includes everything I need

I had the same temperature issues (I'm in Texas). Read the thread.

The Rubbermaid with water and daily ice packs worked great.

bath.jpg

This is almost identical to my setup and it works really well to keep temps between 64*F and 68*F. But I'm in GA...I'm betting you can do this and add the fan and you'll be just fine. Good Luck! :mug:

-Tripod

Using the rubbermaid method. And I am here in Lakeland.
So the basic brewing kit is all I need? what yeast do you recommend and what beer recipe will I have best luck with combined with that yeast? I will order in the next day or two, but won't brew until late October. Should I wait a week longer to order?

Miami here, I've been running the A/C lower but still getting some off flavors. I've been putting up with it, however I'm going to switch over to having my carboys in a cooler and rotating bottles of ice, until I get around to getting an extra freezer or fridge for a fermentation chamber.

Yeah keeping mine on the tile floor helps but i'm planning to build a ferment chamber with some foam and just go the ice water bottle route.

It's good you got the temp control issue out of the way first. I failed in that area my first couple brews...

I'm in FL. I set the AC at 78, use a wet t-shirt on the carboy, and I partially shut the a/c vents except the one in the brew room. The t-shirt buys about 8 degrees and the AC trick another 2. Fermenting at 68-69.

Using the rubbermaid method. And I am here in Lakeland.
So the basic brewing kit is all I need? what yeast do you recommend and what beer recipe will I have best luck with combined with that yeast? I will order in the next day or two, but won't brew until late October. Should I wait a week longer to order?

obviously stay away from any lager recipes. IM guessing your going to be using dry yeast so it wont matter too much. Take a look at Northernbrewer (NORTHERN BREWER: Dried Yeast) because it lists alot of the dry yeast and there optimum temps. Since your probably going to get a kit you wont have the choice of yeasts but if your diligent with your icepacks - your brew should go off without a hitch. Good luck

I am in the Citrus Park area of Tampa and have been brewing for going on two years now. The ferm temp factor is important but I have had great success with minimal temp control - I put my primarys in the bathtub and close the bathroom door - the combination of the A/C vent into a small closed room and the cool metal of the tub gives me a consistent 72 - 74 degrees. A little higher than what is recommended but with proper sanitation and giving the yeast plenty of time to clean up after itself I have made excellent beers every time. I am 35 batches in and have yet to have any "bad" ones.

Back