New to brewing, already geeking out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoshin

Shoshin Picobrewery
Reaction score
Hi all,

This board ROCKS! Thank you to everyone for such great information.

I've brewed 3 batches so far (extract with grains: brown porter, nut brown ale, and an irish red ale), and I'm pumped!! The nut brown ale didn't quite work out (tasted like cardboard), but the other two taste great! I asked a few local homebrewers and craft brewers about the cardboard, they gave me some great tips. I thought I had hot-side aerated it, but I'm told that's a myth.

It's getting a little warm in my house, so I'm going to attempt a Belgian wit beer next, as the fruity esters I may get from a slightly hot fermentation might fit the style. I also happened upon a few glass gallon jugs, so I'm thinking of making a small-batch (2-3 Gal) ?SMaSH? with pale malt extract and Nugget, breaking it into the separate gallon jugs, and either trying different yeasts between the jugs, or dry-hopping one and not the other. Any suggestions?

I hope to some day make substantive contributions to this great community!

Cheers,

Fred (Shoshin : Beginner's Mind)

Back