New to All Grain Brewing....few questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwomzer

Reaction score
So I recently brewed my first batch of beer with a Mr. beer kit. I quickly realized how addicting this hobby is. I bought everything to do all grain brewing. I bought 20lbs on 2-row malt and a pound of hops. Wondering what the best ration of water to grain for mashing. Any suggestions would be great! Excited to try this out. For a 5 gallon batch. Thanks,

you should tell us your setup and planned recipes but in general 1.25 qt per lb

Like doby said above, 1.25 quarts per pound is a good starting point. But let's back up for a minute. I think you're getting into details that you might not be ready for.

Generally speaking, you need more than just 2 row pale malt to make a beer. Most recipes have more than 1 or 2 types of grain. You also have to know how much you are going to use, and you need to mill it first. Granted, you might have already figured that stuff out, but I thought I'd check before you just toss 20 pounds of grain and warm water into a cooler. :)

Ya I have a mill and I was going to order a separate grain as well. Haven't really thought of a recipe yet. Any ideas of what grain to mix with 2 row?

Batch of what? I can recommend a simple Pale Ale where you use 2-row and some 60L crystal. 156 degree rest.

There's a lot more info that you need so look around and find a recipe of the style of beer you like. Make it a simple recipe at first so you're not trying to learn too much too quick.

Sanatation is king, anything after the boil must be sanatized. I recommend Star-San. Don't rinse it and don't fear the foam!

Get a good book and learn about airation, yeast, the reasons for different mash temperatures etc. Most books will have proven recipe's in them.

Don't worry, relax, and have a home brew!

Like doby said above, 1.25 quarts per pound is a good starting point. But let's back up for a minute. I think you're getting into details that you might not be ready for.

Generally speaking, you need more than just 2 row pale malt to make a beer. Most recipes have more than 1 or 2 types of grain. You also have to know how much you are going to use, and you need to mill it first. Granted, you might have already figured that stuff out, but I thought I'd check before you just toss 20 pounds of grain and warm water into a cooler. :)

That's not true you can make a simple beer with just 1 malt. If your just Starting with AG I suggest you make a SMASH(Single Malt and Single Hop)take about 13 lbs of your Pale Malt mill it
and mash it @150, boil for 60 minutes adding 1 oz of hops at beginning of boil
and ferment at 67 degrees

SG 1.048
OG 1.058
FG 1.013

I have the Blichmann 10 gallon pot for my mash. A brew calls for the mash to have 3.5 gallons of water but my temp gauge on the Blichmann doesn't read the temp with less than 4.5 gallons. I will be adding at least 10 lbs of grain to the water. Will adding the additional 1 gallon throw off the mash?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Get a separate thermometer from the one on the kettle. You will need it. You can then check temp at any level. Also I would highly recommend reading "how to brew" by John Palmer before you start

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back