New PID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgeebc

Reaction score
So I've been dreaming of going from batch sparging outside with a turkey fryer to an all electric HERMs set up in the basement.

I've been slowly buying the pieces and parts I need. I've got a pump, tubing, quick disconnects, and an unconverted sanke keg.

I think I lucked out on a PID controller today. I live near a huge industrial surplus warehouse that I scope out for useful items every once in awhile (that's where I got my march pump for $50). Today I found a PID controller for $25. Here is the manual:
http://www.finetechno.com/bbs/data/guest/MIC6000_Manual_(Blue_M_Oven_Old_Controller).pdf

For all of you PID experts, does anything stand out that would not allow me to use this to control the temp of my HLT?

It looks like it has two outputs and two inputs, does this mean that I could control my BK with it at the same time as my HLT or are the outputs for different uses?

The model I got is 110v. I think that just means that I need 110v to power it. I think I can still use it to switch on a 220v element as long as I have the right SSRs. Correct me if I am wrong.

My father in law is an electricion, so he will run a 220 line where I need it and keep me from killing myself.

My dream is a little closer to reality. I hope to be brewing indoors before the snow hits.

Dude....(can you tell I'm jealous already?)
Supply the full part number, to answer your voltage questions.
Man, it looks like you got yourself a 6 stage ramp & soak temp controller. For 25 bones that is a steal. If you see more PM me!
I really don't want to turns this into a "can I step w/ a Herms?" thread.
With this device, one could do a 6 stage automated temperature ramp & soak.
Kudos!
-David

So I've been dreaming of going from batch sparging outside with a turkey fryer to an all electric HERMs set up in the basement.

I've been slowly buying the pieces and parts I need. I've got a pump, tubing, quick disconnects, and an unconverted sanke keg.

I think I lucked out on a PID controller today. I live near a huge industrial surplus warehouse that I scope out for useful items every once in awhile (that's where I got my march pump for $50). Today I found a PID controller for $25. Here is the manual:
http://www.finetechno.com/bbs/data/guest/MIC6000_Manual_(Blue_M_Oven_Old_Controller).pdf

For all of you PID experts, does anything stand out that would not allow me to use this to control the temp of my HLT?

It looks like it has two outputs and two inputs, does this mean that I could control my BK with it at the same time as my HLT or are the outputs for different uses?

The model I got is 110v. I think that just means that I need 110v to power it. I think I can still use it to switch on a 220v element as long as I have the right SSRs. Correct me if I am wrong.
My father in law is an electricion, so he will run a 220 line where I need it and keep me from killing myself.

My dream is a little closer to reality. I hope to be brewing indoors before the snow hits.

Correct, the PID switches nothing, the 110VAC is what powers the PID. Your high current will pass through the SSR only, where it will be switched with a low voltage, typically DC from the PID.

If it has an SSR output (it does) and has an auto and manual mode, you are good to go.

Hmmm Does the warehouse have any more? At that price I'm looking to find one or two. Next year I'll be putting my electric brew rig together. Like you I'm starting to get the parts together.

They didn't have any more PID controllers. They normally have some of the more complicated controllers that I would have no idea what to do with. Some of the old Allen Bradley controllers, etc.

Their inventory is all online:
hgrindustrialsurplus.com

Latest posts

Back