New Ph Meter on the way...anything I need to do/know?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy86

Still thirsty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Brewers,

Thanks to FIL, I purchased this Ph Meter

Since I have zero experience with this is there anything special I need to do before using it for a brew day?

Also, if my desired Ph is not met when testing how can I determine what it is needed to bring it down to the right Ph? Just use Brun'n Water and the like?

i think other people would have to chime in on the acids present in a mash....the calculated 'normality' at a certain ph of them, and the 'molar' weights required of different acids/bases to get the ph you want.....

just my guess, just think about Hydrogen atoms....some are fat other skinny...

(but honestly, i basicly just always 'threw some flour' on it looking for the 'sweet spot'....and by flour to acidify i'd toss epsom salts in a pinch at time stiring it in until i got what i wanted...or potassium bicarb to raise the ph...i'm no pro brewer...but it got my ph where i wanted)

Cool your samples before testing them. Do NOT put you pH meter in the mash,
There really isn't anything you can do during the brew day
Take samples and log them.
Then you can make adjustments before the next brew.
Use Brun'nWater to calculate your additions before the brew day.

If the ph is too high can't I add acid to it to make an adjustment?
It'll be too late to make a significant difference to your mash pH for this batch, but it will still have an effect on the pH of fermentation and of your finished beer which are both important considerations as well.

Back