New pellicle in secondary. help with identification.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseHair

Reaction score
So i took my 14 month old blonde sour off the roselare/dregs(a lot) cake and added to 2 oz french american oak cubes that had been soaking in chardonnay. Before i transfered i tasted it and it smelled amazing lots of funk and lightly acidic in back just how i like it. But now it smells not quite as pleasant its got this apple juice left out in the moldy basement smell and a much different looking pellicle than the primary. can i get some help identifying what it is? I dont think its lacto considering this thing finished at 1.000 and 8.5% ABV.

The black spot is oak

bFAgxAi.jpg

you exposed your brew to oxygen when you moved it off the Roeselare cake, and it looks like you've got some headspace in there - so the re-emergence of a pellicle isn't surprising, IMO.

you took the beer off the cake but all the roeselare bugs are still in the brew so it could be any of those bugs making that pelliclle. could be brett.

Latest posts

Back