New or upgrade Equipment upgrade suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berndawg84

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking for suggestions on what items I should most consider upgrading or getting next.

I do BIAB and have the Wilser bags, a 10 gallon kettle, 50' wort chiller, oxygenation kit, temp control for my fermenter (heating only, no cooling...I use a heat wrap with an Inkbird controller, works perfectly for me) as well as other small things (hydrometer etc.). I currently bottle, would love to get into kegging eventually but hoping to make smaller upgrades first.

I'm curious to see what people think might be worthy new equipment or upgrades to get. Here's some ideas I've had, open to see what people might think are the best equipment upgrades to make "better beer" (I know that's subjective). I've put in bold the ones that seem the most realistic money wise to me in the next few months.

-Refractometer (I've heard mixed things about them, but it does seem easier to use than a hydrometer and it wastes less wort)
-Stir plate setup for yeast starters
-Grain mill (I hear people say this is a vital upgrade! I currently just double crush my grain at the LBHS)
-So I still only have a stovetop setup...I've only been doing 2.5gallon BIAB batches so I don't have to boil too much water. It's hard to get a very vigorous boil though so I should probably get a propane burner setup, that may be more crucial than other things?
-pH meter (Bought some cheap test trips recently...my LBHS says to not worry about pH too much, as I'm in Denver where the water is pretty moderate, but I do hear that accurate pH measurement/adjustment with acids can make a big difference. Most of the cheap meters seem to be of poor quality, so I'm probably looking at about $70-80 for a good one).
-I've avoided getting my water tested by Ward Labs, but I should probably pony up and do that
-Second carboy and temp control setup so I can actually ferment 2 beers at once!

-Extra Fridge (for lagering or cold crashing...this may be high on the list, although I don't really have the space for that now)
-Kegging setup (but cost/space is an issue right now)
-Fancy electric brewing setup, probably a few years off hah

Thanks in advance!

I may get blasted for some of this, but here it is, please know this, I have 6 kids, all under 17, and I like to brew, and I am not loaded with $$ so I went on a budget. Outside of my setup which I did not spare expense (15 gal 3 keggle, 3 burner, 2 pump, plate chiller, stainless cam locks, whirlpool arm, sparge arm and vorlauf arm) I did do some outside the box purchases on my other stuff..

Grain mill - Ebay - new $125 shipped - I know it sounds cheep, I had to assemble it and its not the heaviest hopper metal, but the roller and block etc is actually solid quality and adjustable. This example is not exact to what I got but it looks damn close.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Homebrew-Gr...976026?hash=item465887599a:g:0FUAAOSwal5YIhqc

Refractometer - http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-32-Brix-W...582636?hash=item46578d34ec:g:bIoAAOSwx2dYDcNg

Exactly what I bought, and I compared it to my friends $85 from a LBHS and its on the $$

Stir Plate - First I made my own, and it worked, kinda, was finiky and annoying, so I stepped up and bought this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brew-Smarte...685496?hash=item2120b57c38:g:93sAAOSwGotWj~lu

Stir starter, read the description, guaranteed forever - works quietly and flawlessly. Absolutely love it.

I bought my flasks on amazon 2 litre Elernmeyer for $18 each - I just took a look and they are not available right now.

Get a water test! (ward) Get bru n Water and make adjustments! Probably the best thing I have done to help my beer quality!

A turkey fryer burner will help! You dont need that crazy $$$ burner - yea theyre nice (I use bayou classic BG14 10" burners) They really are not crazy expensive and work quite well IMO.

I got my kegging set up on ebay too - was a 2 keg system complete with recon corny kegs for I think $250 - It was keg connection I bought it from, look it up.

I think thats all I have to offer - I like my LHBS, but like I said I am on a budget - and by me buying the equipment cheep online I have spent more at the LHBS on ingredients and salts..

Good luck! Hope some of this helps..

Thanks. I think a Stirplate/flask is next on my list. I just used an oxygenation wand kit for the first time, and love how much better fermentation has been going.

Definitely open to more suggestions!

How about a corona mill and a hot rod heat stick.

You'll be crushing your own grain and doing 5 gallon batches stovetop with the heatstick assist, or you could do smaller batches with the stick alone. Thinking someday setting up indoor brewery in your basement. Propane burners and brewing outside can be a pain in the ass in harsh weather....in addition to having to lug your equipment in and out to brew. The set up and break down is as much work as the brewing :)

Also keep your eye on CL for a kegging deal. A busted kegerator and a used fridge can get you into kegging inexpensively. Don't discount using sanke legs either, they work well ime and a cheap broken kegerator gives you all the parts you need less a cheap / free fridge.

Sorry a flask and stir plate don't excite me lol JMO. I'm lazy so I prefer yeast recycling from the fermenter over making starters on a stir plate.

I'd go with a stir plate and starter setup. You can make one for pretty cheap if you check the DIY thread. It's a computer fan and an old phone charger. Compared to buying one locally you'll have extra cash in hand to buy a 5 L flask.

Stir plate +++ was a great investment to the beer itself and learning. Make starters, learn yeast, oh yeah, and actually said and done you can make starters and save yeast, which saves money. 6 or 8 brews of starters, decanting saving 500ml of yeast from a 1500ml and reusing for next batch can add up to saving you the money of buying yeast over and over if you are brewing same styles alot. I run a conan strain from heady cans, been keeping it going for 4 batches now. The dme for starters cost a little $ but pales in comparison to buying smack packs every brew. And makes great beer. Ferment in 48 hours with a good solid starter, and still have that 500ml on the side for the next..

3 roller kegco mills are only $140 now and 3 roll mills are all the rage now.

personally id say temp control for your fermenters would be the best upgrade.

Back