New member, new brewer, first post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR2Brew

Reaction score
Hello,

New member and decided to try homebrewing again.

I would like to make the bliess easy peasy IPA for a start, I have all the ingredience and read the directions, but I am not sure on a few things and looking for help.

Procedures Given
-Boil water with bittering hops for 40 minutes
-Add second hop addition, boil 10 minutes
-Remove from heat, add LME, DME, yeast nutrient, and third hop addition
-Boil 5 minutes
-Add fourth hop addition, boil 5 minutes
-Add "0 minute" hop addition at boil knock outCool to 66ºF, oxygenate --wortPitch 1.5 vials WLP001 California Ale Yeast

I have all the ingredience, just wondering when I pitch the yeast, should i add corn sugar? It doesn't call for it in the recipe but sugar is required right? Just before bottling?

Thanks for any help, really excited about my new hobby just looking for help from more experienced brewers, happy brewing!

If the sugar is for bottling then you won't want to add it until after your primary fermentation is completed. I am not sure what your setup is like, but after your primary fermentation is complete (typically a couple of weeks - check with your hydrometer), you will boil up your bottling sugar in some water, add that mixture to your bottling bucket, then rack your beer from your primary to your bottling bucket.

Then you bottle, and the yeast still in suspension will eat the new sugar and carb your beer. You will want to pay attention to how much sugar you add at bottling time. This calculator can help.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Cheers and good luck!

Thanks! It calls for both LME and DME and I figured that there woudl be some sugar in those already in extract?

So I still need the sugar? i have corn sugar, I hear it works best.

Thanks again, I will use the calculator, feeling more confident already about brewing

Yes, there is sugar in the wort before you begin fermentation, and in fact, there is quite a bit of it. The primary fermentation is the step when the yeast consumes all of the available (fermentable) sugars until there are none left. This step creates CO2 and alcohol. The alcohol is in the wort, and the CO2 escapes from the airlock. If you add more sugar after primary has completed, the yeast get back to work and ferment what you have added, so more alcohol and CO2 are created. If you add more sugar and contain it (bottled or kegged), the CO2 which normally escapes through the airlock is contained in the bottle (or keg) and is diffused in the beer, which is what we refer to as carbonation. This is why it is so important to make sure your primary is complete before bottling. The priming sugar you are asking about is usually a very small amount of sugar compared to what was in the original wort, and it is just enough for the beer to carbonate.

Hope that helps!

I thought I'd add that you may have seen kits which told you to add large amounts of sugar before primary. These kits are often referred to as 'kit and kilo'. The sugar added at primary is used to extend the "fermentability" of the wort. Dextrose (corn sugar) will ferment and create alcohol, but it does not contribute any flavor or anything other than alcohol. Refined sugar does have its place in brewing but in these kits it's usually just a cheap way to create a 5% beer with less malt. When you are designing your own recipes and want to dry out big beers, you will use dextrose in the wort, but for now it will only be used for priming your beer before bottling.

If you are adding anything more than 6-7 oz at bottling, you need to double check what you are doing. :)

Been lerking for a while myself just got a kit, pot, burner going to try my first brew as well. Hope I got everything I need maybe ill post when it all arrives

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back