New member from maryland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nxc3441

Reaction score
I am a home brewer with 3 brews down all demon brews so far. My 4th and 5th batches are using recipies i found on youtube using store bought ingredients. I love hard ciders and beer are my two passions. We are growing concord and juniper grapes so we might be trying to do some wine in the summer months. Glad to be here on the forum's.

Welcome to the hobby and the forum. About wine: don't know about juniper grapes, but Concord grapes do not make good wine. They are too acidic and too low in sugar to make good wine without major adjustments. Really have to watch the tannin, too. I'd stay away from them for wine.

Welcome to the hobby and the forum. About wine: don't know about juniper grapes, but Concord grapes do not make good wine. They are too acidic and too low in sugar to make good wine without major adjustments. Really have to watch the tannin, too. I'd stay away from them for wine.
Thanks for the tip. I might just stick to cider and beer!

Welcome to our forums!

My wife brought back a few bottles of wine from a visit to Erie, PA, and one was a (Red) Concord wine. I frowned a little bit, looking at it, and it turned out to be a very palatable, enjoyable wine. A tad sweet perhaps, but a beautiful bouquet making it all work! It definitely had no resemblance to Welch's jam.

I don't know anything about Juniper grapes but I'm quite sure they'll make wine too.

That's what home brewing and home fermenting is about, and we don't have to make a living from it. It's fun and easy to make a few batches, experiment a little, and enjoy the fruits of our labor.
Keep good notes, so you know where to improve on your next run.

As IslandLizard is indicating, about any grape can make a good wine if you do it right. Now that I've mentioned the issues you need to watch out for, I really shouldn't be trying to steer you away from it. I'm a bit of a winemaker too, and a fan of E C Kraus recipes. Here's his recipe for Concord Grape Wine to give you an idea of the process. Have at it, have fun. and enjoy the process and results... that is more what I should have said. :rock:

https://homebrewing.org/pages/concord-grape-full-bodied-wine-recipe

Last edited:
Back