New Lalbrew Farmhouse yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncan_disorderly

Reaction score
Launched yesterday. Saison yeast with the STA1 gene removed. It's not Belle Saison. Anybody know anything about it?! There's a webinar thing next Tuesday.

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/product-details/lalbrew-farmhouse/
LALBREW FARMHOUSE™
LalBrew Farmhouse™ is a non-diastatic hybrid that has been selected to make saison-style and farmhouse style beers. This product is the result of the research and development work of Renaissance Yeast in Vancouver BC, Canada. LalBrew Farmhouse™ was selected using the most advanced breeding techniques. The Renaissance research team used classical and non-GMO methods to remove the STA1 gene, responsible for the diastatic activity of Saison yeasts. Care was taken to retain normal brewing sugar utilization to produce dry saisons. Additionally, the patented technology from University of California Davis (USA) ensures that the strain will not produce sulfurous favors, therefore enhancing the saison yeast aroma characteristics.

"we will discuss trial feedback next Tuesday during our Farmhouse launch webinar. Register now to not miss it" Farmhouse Product Launch - Crowdcast !

Hmm... I wonder if this might just be Lallemand's version of Fermentis T-58... THIS IS ONLY A WILD GUESS AT THIS POINT.

Regardless...

Do us all a favor -- after using this yeast, let us know your apparent attenuation, or OG and FG. And your recipe(s), if it ain't too much extra trouble. Thanks in advance!

Hmm... I wonder if this might just be Lallemand's version of Fermentis T-58... THIS IS ONLY A WILD GUESS AT THIS POINT.

Regardless...

Do us all a favor -- after using this yeast, let us know your apparent attenuation, or OG and FG. And your recipe(s), if it ain't too much extra trouble. Thanks in advance!
Would they take the Sta1 gene out of T-58 when it's attenuation isn't that high anyway? Maybe, I suppose. But T-58 isn't a particularly saison/farmhouse type of yeast in my experience?

Would they take the Sta1 gene out of T-58 when it's attenuation isn't that high anyway? Maybe, I suppose. But T-58 isn't a particularly saison/farmhouse type of yeast in my experience?

Oops -- I guess I missed the part where they basically say that they actually farmed a new yeast from scratch, “non-GMO” etc. :bigmug:

So while they didn’t actually do any genetic engineering for this yeast, they did probably run a thousand (or whatever) breeding and brewing experiments and found a new strain that tastes good to them. I get the feeling that this breeding selection process is kind of a rare thing these days, more often the manufacturers seem to just copy each other or steal each others' yeasts, etc., that’s why I jumped onto T-58 right away. If this is actually a new yeast, wow, this is really cool, and… nevermind what I said about T-58. If anything, it might more closely resemble BE-134. But also like I said….. please brew with it and provide your results!! If/when I see it in my shop, I would give it a try.

Oops -- I guess I missed the part where they basically say that they actually farmed a new yeast from scratch, “non-GMO” etc. :bigmug:

So while they didn’t actually do any genetic engineering for this yeast, they did probably run a thousand (or whatever) breeding and brewing experiments and found a new strain that tastes good to them. I get the feeling that this breeding selection process is kind of a rare thing these days, more often the manufacturers seem to just copy each other or steal each others' yeasts, etc., that’s why I jumped onto T-58 right away. If this is actually a new yeast, wow, this is really cool, and… nevermind what I said about T-58. If anything, it might more closely resemble BE-134. But also like I said….. please brew with it and provide your results!! If/when I see it in my shop, I would give it a try.
Lallemand is obviously targeting craft breweries around the world and developing products that meet their demands. Verdant for NEIPA, Philly for easy, infectionless sours, Farmhouse for trouble free saisons. Key styles fro craft brewers, and quite a bit of developmental work going into these products.

Yeah, I'm all for yeasts that I can ferment at warmer temps, I can make things warmer pretty easy, cooler not so much. (LOL). I have a saison on my to brew list but I may wait with it until this comes out. Then again, I may go ahead with it as planed, as I already have the yeast for it, then make one the same using this yeast, for purely scientific purposes of course, ;) we'll see.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

Yeah, I'm all for yeasts that I can ferment at warmer temps, I can make things warmer pretty easy, cooler not so much. (LOL). I have a saison on my to brew list but I may wait with it until this comes out. Then again, I may go ahead with it as planed, as I already have the yeast for it, then make one the same using this yeast, for purely scientific purposes of course, ;) we'll see.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.
Comparison is the spice of life. 👍🙂

Anyone seen this "in the wild" yet? My LHBS doesn't have it yet. I am looking for a low attenuating Saison yeast (to primary ferement beer that will then go into a Brett Saison solera foeder) and this looks perfect.

Anyone seen this "in the wild" yet? My LHBS doesn't have it yet. I am looking for a low attenuating Saison yeast (to primary ferement beer that will then go into a Brett Saison solera foeder) and this looks perfect.
I got one package in the fridge but had no time to use it yet.

I didn't even realize this was new when I ordered it (humlegårdens ekolager, Stockholm, Sweden). Going to brew a Saison this weekend with it, I'll try to remember to report back with results.

Anyone know what FG I should expect? The datasheet just says the attenuation is "high", but the Brewfather app lists the FG at 1.010.

I didn't even realize this was new when I ordered it (humlegårdens ekolager, Stockholm, Sweden). Going to brew a Saison this weekend with it, I'll try to remember to report back with results.

Anyone know what FG I should expect? The datasheet just says the attenuation is "high", but the Brewfather app lists the FG at 1.010.
Still have a pack of it in the fridge, haven't used it yet. I have two more beers in the pipeline that I want to brew before using that yeast, please let us know about the outcome.

Lallemand got a couple of breweries to run trials and from those:

Attenuation was in the 78 to 84% range, typically 80%. So if your OG is 1.050 your FG should be around 1.010.

Temp range is 20 to 30C. But the brewery trials suggest that 25 to 30 produces Saison characteristics, whereas 20 to 25 produces hefe/Belgian blanche type beers.

A few weeks ago I bottled up my first batch using Lallemand Farmhouse. My first impressions are that it produces a decent saison.

About a month an half prior, I brewed a batch of a simple saison fermented with WLP565 (the "Dupont Strain"). The grain bill was 73% German Pils, 18% Spelt, 9% Munich I (no sugar). When I saw my local shop had Farmhouse in stock, I figured it would be a good chance to brew the same recipe again with a different yeast. I did an initial taste test between the two over the weekend, with the Farmhouse batch being just under 3 weeks in the bottle.

It is hard to compete against WLP565, which produces exactly the complex characters that I look for in a Saison. While the Farmhouse was not quite a complex in flavors, it seemed closer than what I recall getting from Belle Saison. The biggest flaw in the Farmhouse batch was that it seemed just a touch sweet and full for a saison. OG: 1.056, FG: 1.010, Atten: 80.4%, ABV 5.7%. I stopped using sugar in my basic saison because I felt they were plenty dry and refreshing without it, but for this yeast I would likely swap out some Pils for Sugar.

The WLP565 batch was fermented a little cooler than I normally go with a Saison (pitched at 64°F/18°C and raised to 74°F/23°C slowly over 7 days). The Farmhouse batch was pitched at 68°F/20°C and allowed to rise to 76°F/24.5C by day 2, then held at that temp. I would be curious about fermenting with Farmhouse a bit warmer and doing a trial vs Belle Saison (which I have used but found a bit bland) and against BE-134 (which I have never used).

The beer I made last year with M31 yeast came out much more saison like than I expected, and much closer than Belle Saison. I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences with M31? I think I'd call it a saison yeast personally. It's a diastaticus strain.

The beer I made last year with M31 yeast came out much more saison like than I expected, and much closer than Belle Saison. I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences with M31? I think I'd call it a saison yeast personally. It's a diastaticus strain.

My guess is that M31 = BE-134 which is branded as Belgian Saison. If I am wrong, they should still be similar.

What temp did you ferment that one at?

I made a Tripel last year with M31. I got some solid fruity esters and mild phenolics, but nothing that I would classify as a peppery or clovey Saison like strain. I would use M31 again for a Abbey style Belgian beer (though I might like Lallemand Abbaye a little better, WLP530 has been my fav liquid).

What temp did you ferment that one at?

I made a Tripel last year with M31. I got some solid fruity esters and mild phenolics, but nothing that I would classify as a peppery or clovey Saison like strain. I would use M31 again for a Abbey style Belgian beer (though I might like Lallemand Abbaye a little better, WLP530 has been my fav liquid).
It was around 20C iirc. 68F.

Lallemand got a couple of breweries to run trials and from those:

Attenuation was in the 78 to 84% range, typically 80%. So if your OG is 1.050 your FG should be around 1.010.

Temp range is 20 to 30C. But the brewery trials suggest that 25 to 30 produces Saison characteristics, whereas 20 to 25 produces hefe/Belgian blanche type beers.
So above 25 would be more clove?
Where can we find this data?
Cheers

I used this yeast with brett and lacto. Going to keg/bottle in the next few days. Fingers crossed it's gonna be good. Its about 4 months old now.

Any more beta on this yeast? Bought some for some test batches. Trying to keep anything diastaticus out of the brewery.

Any more beta on this yeast? Bought some for some test batches. Trying to keep anything diastaticus out of the brewery.
I did a spelt saison with it recently, fermented all the way at 25c. I didnt get much funk from it. Light tartness maybe, tasted much like a wheat beer, typical belgium esters

I brewed a Saison with Lallemand Farmhouse. It's good, but I agree it lacks the complexity of my usual saison go-to (Wyeast 3724). The base flavor is there but not the full esters or depth.

My first thought was that it would be a good Wit yeast (and I may repitch onto the yeast cake to make a Wit or Gruit this weekend). But I fermented at 68F (wish I had read this thread first and fermented at higher temp). Maybe it would generate a more dynamic saison at a higher fermentation temp.

OG: 1.056 FG: 1.010 6%

At first I apologize for my poor English.
I use this yeast in my wild fruti saison project. I sent a beer to a contest once and won. In my opinion, wrongly. Fermentation at 20-23C produces lots of bananas and little spices. You can go wrong and say "ohh this is hefe-waizen!". Beer is not dry, usually stop fermentation on 3-4BLG (start at 13-15BLG), but this is ideal for my project. Brettanomyces have a lot to eat, and give more funky.
Now i have:
Saison+Wood+redcurrant
Saison+Wood+pear+hysop
Saison+Wood+muscat grape
Saison+Wood+blackberry
Saison+wood
Saison+wood+Rhubarb+pink pepper
In all beer i used difrent blend brett. I obtained them from Polish breweries ;)

At first I apologize for my poor English.
I use this yeast in my wild fruti saison project. I sent a beer to a contest once and won. In my opinion, wrongly. Fermentation at 20-23C produces lots of bananas and little spices. You can go wrong and say "ohh this is hefe-waizen!". Beer is not dry, usually stop fermentation on 3-4BLG (start at 13-15BLG), but this is ideal for my project. Brettanomyces have a lot to eat, and give more funky.
Now i have:
Saison+Wood+redcurrant
Saison+Wood+pear+hysop
Saison+Wood+muscat grape
Saison+Wood+blackberry
Saison+wood
Saison+wood+Rhubarb+pink pepper
In all beer i used difrent blend brett. I obtained them from Polish breweries ;)
The English is fine and I love your saison variations. Cheers!

I have freshly picked redcurrants in my freezer - thanks for the idea!

Thank you, I grew up in the countryside and I use its gifts. My grandmother taught me a lot about herbs, plants, frutis.
Currants are great, expressive and tasty. You can try currant leaves, they are interested in the aroma.
I have plans to:
Saison+wood+European blueberry(This is fine name? Vaccinium myrtillus)
Saison+Wood of fruit trees+Currant, cherry and rapsberry leaf
Saison+wood and Wildflowers herbs.
I love wild beer;)

Thank you, I grew up in the countryside and I use its gifts. My grandmother taught me a lot about herbs, plants, frutis.
Currants are great, expressive and tasty. You can try currant leaves, they are interested in the aroma.
I have plans to:
I love wild beer;)
Try something from Browar Spoldzielczy, they have often strange combinations and are usually quite good!

Yep Browar spółdzielczy have nice beer, ice beer is my next step, I will try make ice wild saison.
Browar spółdzielczy employs and supports people with disabilities. I am a neuropsychologist and I love such things.

I have plans to:
I love wild beer;)
Can you explain what type of wood you use and how you use it?

And how you use the leaves?

Cheers!

When a storm broke down an old orchard, about 100 years old. I collected apple, pear, cherry and cherry wood. I cut 2cm2 cubes, and dried for 2 years. Then I roasted them to different levels. It's an experiment.
I collect healthy and nice leaves and add them to the beer;). grape leaves are ideal for wrapping meat etc.

In other Beer I use french oak cube 1x1cm. 50-60g on 15l Beer.

Last edited:
When a storm broke down an old orchard, about 100 years old. I collected apple, pear, cherry and cherry wood. I cut 2cm2 cubes, and dried for 2 years. Then I roasted them to different levels. It's an experiment.
I collect healthy and nice leaves and add them to the beer;). grape leaves are ideal for wrapping meat etc.

In other Beer I use french oak cube 1x1cm. 50-60g on 15l Beer.
Fantastic. Thanks for the inspiration.

Quadrupel on this yeast? Why not!
27BLG on start
1day 21C
2days 22C
3-4Days 24-25C
Now planning to heat up to 27.
Incredibly fast yeast...currently the beer is 9.5 BLG. It is extremely peppery, clove and cardamom. Unfortunately, it has very few esters :(

Pepper is rly nice, spicy, fresh perfect.
27 and now i feel fruits.
Time heat to 29 and end on this temperatur.

Last edited:
The strength of these yeasts is amazing. I left for three days. The thermostat broke down, at most 30h 34C. Then jumps 24-28C. I came back and stabilized the temperature at 27-28C. The smell was odd, lots of ripe mango and overripe tropical fruit. Some strange aroma. I wanted to throw it away because I thought the yeast had gone into shock. However not, today measure BLG 6.2. The little monsters made it...
Itd time to add baked pery? ;)
A721D1C5-4AAB-4AE1-97F2-5478BB64101A.jpeg

Last edited:
Back