New Kegerator owner, having pressure issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr0vidence

Reaction score
Hey all,

My wife bought a kegerator for me for Christmas! Got it set up this weekend and I love it, but am having a small problem with it I am hoping the experts can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I am not yet kegging homebrew, so I got a log of Harpoon from my local store and hooked it up. The instructions for the kegerator suggest I start at 12psi pressure from the CO2 regulator, I started at 10 to see how it went. The beer comes out fine at 10 pounds so I left it at that. The next day, the beer came out nearly flat. It pours out, but within 2 minutes there is no carbonation in the liquid at all. So I bumped the pressure to the recommended 12psi and let it sit over night. The next day, same problem, comes out fine, builds a decent head as it is pouring.....completely flat within a few minutes. So I bumped the pressure again up to about 15psi, and again left it overnight. Still the same problem. I am hesitant to just crank it up. Much of what I have read seems to show that most people do fine anywhere from 2psi to 8 psi, many complain about too much foam on anything higher that 10 or 12psi. So what do you all think is my problem? What is the n00b mistake I am making?

BTW: the brand is Edge Star, it came with a 5 pound CO2 tank that I had filled the night I hooked it up to the first keg, so there should be plenty of gas.

Thanks everyone.

Have you checked your lines for leaks? Also, I've never hooked up a commercial keg to my setup, but I'm assuming they might need a few days in order to balance out to your system.

To set your regulator, you need to know what volumes of co2 the beer should be and what the temperature of the beer is. The warmer the beer, the more co2 pressure you need to maintain carbonation.

Latest posts

Back