New IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
Anyone see any issues with this IPA recipe? Going for a NEIPA type.

Attachments

• 3D772BEA-8AE3-480A-9778-9DE1063D1D96.png
    3D772BEA-8AE3-480A-9778-9DE1063D1D96.png
    736.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 9884FBCE-41AA-4EF4-ACE2-A074163CDAD8.png
    9884FBCE-41AA-4EF4-ACE2-A074163CDAD8.png
    620.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 03D0BC25-20DA-4982-8731-476ACFED617D.png
    03D0BC25-20DA-4982-8731-476ACFED617D.png
    573.1 KB · Views: 28
That's a very high IBU for a NEIPA imo. My west coast IPA isnt even that high in IBU. To each is own though. My NEIPA comes out around 30 ibu

That's a very high IBU for a NEIPA imo. My west coast IPA isnt even that high in IBU. To each is own though. My NEIPA comes out around 30 ibu
I got ya.. what would you do to lower it a bit? I looked at tree house julius(which is different build) but that seems to have a high IBU as well? Maybe just do the 60min. Mosiac as buttering and then just add the rest at whirlpool to drop the IBU’s a bit?

I'm with the others @Jag75 on your hops.

There's also an issue with your "partial mash:"
You don't have a diastatic malt (e.g., 2-row) included in your mash! Without it you ain't mashing. ;)

The Honey malt and Dextrin malt (Carapils? Carafoam?) ideally should be mashed, but could be steeped. The flaked wheat and oats however, DO need to be mashed.
Add a pound of 2-row to your partial mash (all crushed of course) and mash with 3 quarts of water at 154F for 45-60' ("an hour"). Use a large pot in a prewarmed to 156F, but turned off oven.

Last edited:
Maybe just do the 60min. Mosiac as buttering and then just add the rest at whirlpool to drop the IBU’s a bit?
I know it's only a small amount of Mosaic (that's the correct spelling) that's being boiled here. We usually reserve flavor/aroma hops like that for later where they count, and use a simpler "cheaper" ones for bittering, such as Columbus, Warrior, Magnum, Nugget, etc.

You didn't specify your whirlpool temps, that's kinda critical here.
Bittering tapers off exponentially with lower temps, being close to non-existent at around 130F. So it makes all the world of a difference whether you whirlpool hops at flameout, 180F or at 150F.

I got ya.. what would you do to lower it a bit? I looked at tree house julius(which is different build) but that seems to have a high IBU as well? Maybe just do the 60min. Mosiac as buttering and then just add the rest at whirlpool to drop the IBU’s a bit?

Mosaic is a dual purpose hop . Even so I've never used it as a bittering hop. It really depends on how bitter you want it . If you want an 80ibu beer then go with your original plan . If you want lower then adjust . Mosaic works great for dry hopping and whirlpool. As Islandlizard said your whirlpool temp is key .

Here is my last NEIPA hop schedule just for reference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200620-130118_Grainfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20200620-130118_Grainfather.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 21
I'm with the others @Jag75 on your hops.

There's also an issue with your "partial mash:"
You don't have a diastatic malt (e.g., 2-row) included in your mash! Without it you ain't mashing. ;)

The Honey malt and Dextrin malt (Carapils? Carafoam?) ideally should be mashed, but could be steeped. The flaked wheat and oats however, DO need to be mashed.
Add a pound of 2-row to your partial mash (all crushed of course) and mash with 3 quarts of water at 154F for 45-60' ("an hour"). Use a large pot in a prewarmed to 156F, but turned off oven.
Sorry, it’s an extract with some specialty

I know it's only a small amount of Mosaic (that's the correct spelling) that's being boiled here. We usually reserve flavor/aroma hops like that for later where they count, and use a simpler "cheaper" ones for bittering, such as Columbus, Warrior, Magnum, Nugget, etc.

You didn't specify your whirlpool temps, that's kinda critical here.
Bittering tapers off exponentially with lower temps, being close to non-existent at around 130F. So it makes all the world of a difference whether you whirlpool hops at flameout, 180F or at 150F.
Flameout sorry

Sorry, it’s an extract with some specialty
No, it's an extract batch with 2 specialty malts plus 2 unmalted adjuncts. It's the latter 2 that need enzymatic conversion, hence the partial mash with some extra 2-row.
The former 2 can be steeped or mashed, mashing them gives a little better extraction.

No, it's an extract batch with 2 specialty malts plus 2 unmalted adjuncts. It's the latter 2 that need enzymatic conversion, hence the partial mash with some extra 2-row.
The former 2 can be steeped or mashed, mashing them gives a little better extraction.
ok thank you.

Unless the Keystone author intended to extract unconverted starches out of the oats, this recipe is a bit of a mess, isn't it...
My thoughts exactly.

They're not the only ones who think you can squeeze sugar out of starch. Or that hydrated starches somehow end up in beer and not in the trub. You see those kind of recipes everywhere, also in the big outfit kits.

85 IBU is not to NEIPA style either.

I used 3lbs of DME. Is that not gave sugar?
You mean Agave sugar? No it's not, that's a whole different product, made from Agave sap. It's Gluten Free too.

DME is Dry Malt Extract, made from malted Barley, such as the "2-row" I mentioned before.

You mean Agave sugar? No it's not, that's a whole different product, made from Agave sap. It's Gluten Free too.

DME is Dry Malt Extract, made from malted Barley, such as the "2-row" I mentioned before.
Lol ok.

Back