New in craft

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksub123

Reaction score
Everyone keeps talking about the next big thing in craft beer, pilsener. The industry seems to have decided that the only option is to brew a light lager. I heard an interview with Deschutes brewmaster where she talked about making a 99cal beer. To me it sounded like the opposite of craft beer.

So, for everyone who doesn’t normally drink light lagers, have you started thinking about brewing a pilsener?

Every Spring I think about brewing a pils, helles, etc... It's nice to have a crisp, easy drinker for the hot months. When I'm drinking beer I don't care about calories. Forget about what "craft" beer is doing. All I have to answer to are my own taste buds!

I agree it’s all about what you like. For me the best warm weather beers are a blonde or Hefeweizen. Refreshing but With some fruity esters. Crisp never seems to describe a beer that I want.

But when it comes to an everyday beer, which is what I think light lagers are aimed at, I like something with a little more flavour. Something like Sierra Nevada pale or Fullers London Pride.

End of winter, I always brew 4-5 batches pilsner, kölsch and dark lager for summertime.
It's easy to do when the temperatures are low, and they cellar well(lager...haha).

Then when summer gets closer, i drink them, and some blonde and witbier I make closer to summertime.

as for "light" beer, no thanks..

Everyone is different. I can appreciate a light craft lager but for me a good amber is what I prefer at any time of the year. And will get a stout or porter over any lager all the time. I guess more people are always more inclined to light colored beers because that’s what is mostly marketed.

I like to make German Pilsners, but haven't tackled an American Light lager. I'm sure you could brew a much better version at home if you wanted to.

Every Spring I think about brewing a pils, helles, etc... It's nice to have a crisp, easy drinker for the hot months. When I'm drinking beer I don't care about calories. Forget about what "craft" beer is doing. All I have to answer to are my own taste buds!

my spring beer is a dark English mild.

Seems like the way things are going right now from what I am seeing in stores.

Currently I've got a Standard American Lager and a Dark lager in bottles, and I need to get around to bottling an American Light Lager and A Classic American Pilsner that I brewed awhile back. Didn't do it because it was trendy, just wanted to do some lagers and see if I could nail them.

One's thoughts should not turn to American macro beer when the word pilsener is mentioned. Let's recalibrate the frame of reference:

Better to think of the brilliantly clear, dry yet uniquely grainy/sweet, crisply bitter, noble-hop infused classics of Czech and German tradition. These are delightful malt-focused brews with a towering meringue head, reasonably equipped with 4-6% ABV in most cases.

Could the craft scene use more of these, or at least should they be more widely available? Well, hell yes. Helles ja!*

Along with the classics, which are legendary for a reason and deserve to be brewed to style around the world to ensure freshness, I think there's a wide range of hybrid styles to explore - especially use of new world hops, or noble hops with more prominence than is standard.

*Yes, I know this means "Bright, yes!"

I see your point. I’ve always seen American light lagers to Pilsner as Big Macs are to burgers.

Most of the craft lagers I’ve had from local breweries seem to think Bud light sells well let’s make it craft, rather than saying Sierra Nevada is a good beer, let’s make it a lager.

I guess I’m just biased. :oops:

People are reacting to years of expensive beers, massive hopping, fruiting, and other ****ing weird ****.
I for one welcome the return of beer flavored beer.

People are reacting to years of expensive beers, massive hopping, fruiting, and other ****ing weird poopy.
I for one welcome the return of beer flavored beer.

That probably plays into it too. One of my favourite styles to brew is an English brown. Not sure if that’s beer flavoured or not.

This thread is really making me want to brew another cream ale....

I could get behind that. Do you have a good cream ale recipe?

I’ve been wanting to do a beer with a high % of oats. I wonder if that could work for a cream ale.

I like to make German Pilsners, but haven't tackled an American Light lager. I'm sure you could brew a much better version at home if you wanted to.

This is what I call "fizzy yellow lager". It's probably more amber than yellow but It's my recipe and I say It's yellow. 6.5 ABV; the Bud Light drinkers think it's great.

20190423_190048.jpg

I love all beer (almost). Personally, I'm glad that some attention is turning toward pilsners. When at a restaurant or bar it seems like there are at least a dozen IPA's and rarely is there a good pilz.

Brewing wise- Pilsners are rewarding to brew because there is not a whole lot to hide behind. Pilsners are my default and other beers are drank/brewed on occasion.

btw- I just had a Pilz from Heater Allen- holy sh%*. It was liquid gold. I'm not sure how widely they are distributed but if you see one at your bottle shop, get it. In fact buy all they have and put some in your fridge.

I love all beer (almost). Personally, I'm glad that some attention is turning toward pilsners. When at a restaurant or bar it seems like there are at least a dozen IPA's and rarely is there a good pilz.

I like a good ipa. That being said I don’t need 6, I’d rather have some options.

Maybe I haven’t had a good Pilsner.I live in Ontario so my options are limited. I have had budvar, the Czech Budweiser. What breweries make a great Pilsner?

Mmmm , I love Pilsner , kolsch and cream ale . My Pilsner is almost perfect , just one last tweak ..........

A guy in my club just got picked to send his Pilsner to NHC Nationals for the 2nd time in 3 years. I'm super excited for him!

I drive a lot for work and listen to podcasts to pass the time, including the one posted in the OP. What I have heard from multiple brewers is that lagers are the beers they crave more often then not. They enjoy other styles, but at the end of the day they aren't looking for a high ABV barrel aged, or sweet pastry stout, or quadruple dry hopped IPA ... they want a crisp, clean, easy drinking lager that they can have a few of without getting wasted or fatiguing their palate.

I'm not a big lager drinker, but I brew a few throughout the year as a barometer of my brewing. I enjoy the challenge of trying to brew them without flaws.

I drive a lot for work and listen to podcasts to pass the time, including the one posted in the OP. What I have heard from multiple brewers is that lagers are the beers they crave more often then not. They enjoy other styles, but at the end of the day they aren't looking for a high ABV barrel aged, or sweet pastry stout, or quadruple dry hopped IPA ... they want a crisp, clean, easy drinking lager that they can have a few of without getting wasted or fatiguing their palate.

I'm not a big lager drinker, but I brew a few throughout the year as a barometer of my brewing. I enjoy the challenge of trying to brew them without flaws.
I can see this, totally. I've been into beer for a long time and now I'm realizing I just want an evenly balanced ale/lager. I can appricate the big beers and the trendy stuff from time to time but I really just want a damn beer. Something that's clean, clear, balanced, and tasty, and something I can have a few of without feeling it the next day. It's actually rejuvenating my interest in learning about homebrewing again. I was on auto pilot for years just brewing what I liked and not really changing up much of anything. Now, I'm looking into getting a lager setup so i can make some lagers!

I like a good ipa. That being said I don’t need 6, I’d rather have some options.

Maybe I haven’t had a good Pilsner.I live in Ontario so my options are limited. I have had budvar, the Czech Budweiser. What breweries make a great Pilsner?

weihenstephaner does a good one that is generally available around the world somewhat.

Back