New Hop XPA advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piratwolf

Reaction score
I've been avoiding a lot of the newer hop varieties for a year or two while I got my game down. Now I'm ready to experiment & going to brew an XPA (~6.5%) with a ton of late hops & whirlpool hops. What I'm hoping is to get advice on the varieties you have tried and how they play together.

Here's what I have on hand:
Motueka
Calypso
Citra
Galaxy
Experimental Lemon Zest (YVH) with background pine flavors

Have you blended any of these? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers

Piratwolf said:
Beuler? Anyone?
Galaxy is an excellent hop. Of course there is citra too. Haven't used any others on your list. Good luck figuring it out.

I have used Citra, Motueka, and Galaxy before. They are all going to add strong elements of citrus and fruit, with Galaxy providing some resin and pine. Anytime I've brewed a hoppy beer with especially Motueka and Citra, people would instantly ask, "What fruit did you use in this?" Personally, I've come to realize that I appreciate a noticeable pine, resin, or dankness in hoppy beers, so I now plan for it.

I have used Citra, Motueka, and Galaxy before. They are all going to add strong elements of citrus and fruit, with Galaxy providing some resin and pine. Anytime I've brewed a hoppy beer with especially Motueka and Citra, people would instantly ask, "What fruit did you use in this?" Personally, I've come to realize that I appreciate a noticeable pine, resin, or dankness in hoppy beers, so I now plan for it.

Thanks, Cauchy! I've dropped the Calypso (apple/pear seem out of step with the rest) and added Ahtanum for a hint of spiciness. Plus, like you, I really enjoy a hit of resin... and in this case think it will provide a needed counterpoint to the citrus bomb. So I'm going to FWH with .5oz Simcoe and add another .5oz Simcoe at 5 min.

People probably know this but I didn't until doing some hop oil research this morning: Simcoe has a low cohumulone level (15-22%) which makes for excellent bittering without the harshness. That played into my bittering decision as well.

Cheers!

Ahtanum has a musty/herbal orange flavor, which is fine if your expecting it. Citra offers bright mango/apricot flavors, but might need a resinous/piney hop to keep it from tasting sweet.

Back