New hop names

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theheadonthedoor

Reaction score
feel as though hops are becoming less appealing in the name department. I've started growing my own hops (columbus, nugget, cascade, and glacier) and I am in the process of getting some seeds and some males and whatnot and might try to cross polinate, etc. to try to create some new varieties. The point being that I was wondering about possible names for the future. Here are just a few that I thought up. Please let me know anymore you got, and any advice for new hop breeding!

Eureka
Caribou
Zebra
Aquarius
Sigma
Honeymoon
Newo
Prima
Sepia
Myriad
Vista
Serendipity
Dactyl
Illuminati

New hop variety ... Why not "Zoidberg"?

zoid.jpg

Shouldn't hops names reflect their character? The only hops I can think of that even remotely resemble their names are Magnum (obviously powerfully bitter), and Mosaic (complex blend of flavors).

I propose we name hops for well known people, based on their character. If the hop is quite bitter and has a spicy flavor, select someone who's characteristics match that. Likewise if it is very complex and fruity, choose a famous sophisticated queer (Liberace for example), if the hop is sweet and flowery, choose a lady of similar character, if it has strong noble characteristics, choose someone who also has those characteristics (George W Bush...just joking), earthy woody character.... etc....

Cartoon characters would perhaps in many cases be more suitable than real people... Roadrunner & Wile Coyote, etc...

H.W.

Back