New Guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ff186

Reaction score
Hello All

I have been interested in home brewing for the past few years, and have never got into it. However I have been looking at the differenk kits on the market. I have no idea what to buy, what not to buy, ECT. If anyony could help me out i would appriciate it very much...

Jason

I suggest going to your local homebrew store (LHBS) and tell them that you are new to the hobby. They will not look down on you at all; quite the contrary! Ask them what they recommend for a beginner (maybe something like a amber/porter). The reason I say something a little darker is because it does a better job at hiding any potential brewing flaws. Once you start brewing, you won't give it up. I got a kit 8 years ago and have started slow, but brew 10 gallons/month now. It is an excellent hobby!

Hi Jason

Welcome to HBT!
Midwest is just one of many suppliers and anyone of them can get you started. The beginner kit is good but if it were me buying, I would go with the intermediate kit at Midwest supply. You might as well buy the extra carboy now because you will want it before your first brew is finished. Also, the intermediate has a funnel and bottling wand and you'll need those anyway. It comes with both glass carboy and better bottle options. That a personal preference thing. Don't forget to order a couple beer kits when you order your equipment!
:mug:

I would point you in the direction of your Local Home Brew Shop. If you don't have one, then either Northern Brewer or Midwest Supplies are 2 good online stops.

BTW, when you do your first batch, don't be scared to ask all the questions you need answered. Your first batch will feel a bit daunting at times. Just remember not to worry, it's only Beer.:mug:

Welcome to HBT Jason. :mug:

Don't get too worked up about what kit to buy. Most Home Brew stores pretty much have the same basic kits. Shop around and get the best deal.

I would avoid prepackaged kits such as Brewers Best. They are good if fresh but more often than not they are quite old.

As was said above go to your LHBS and ask if they have any recipes for beginners. Also Morebeer and Northern Brewer have excellent kits for all levels of brewing.

I always recommend craigslist as well, you never know what kind of deal you may find. I got about $300 worth of equipment for $75.

Thanks for eveyones help. I'm in the process of getting the needeg equipment and start my first home brew...

RLnNH are you a flyfisherman too?

Back