New guy over here in Arkansas and want to say hello and thanks for all you do to keep the craft going .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajcaton72

Joker
Reaction score
Thanks for having me here and look forward to learning as much as I can to keep moving the craft forward. On a recent discussion I was reading about keg metal or what they are made from.. was there any other sure fire way to determine the metal from a beer keg other then spark test .

Welcome to the community! Unfortunately, I can't speak on the keg question but I'm sure someone here can give you an answer!

was there any other sure fire way to determine the metal from a beer keg other then spark test .

i don't know if it's sure fire, but if it's shiny, and a magnet DOESN'T stick to it, it's stainless?

or if it's got dull finish, and a magnet doesn't stick, it's aluminium....?

i guess you could do the magnet test, then see if a battery with a wet q-tip etched it? i'm not sure if that would work i know it works on steel, not sure if it would also on aluminum.....

i don't know if it's sure fire, but if it's shiny, and a magnet DOESN'T stick to it, it's stainless?

or if it's got dull finish, and a magnet doesn't stick, it's aluminium....?

i guess you could do the magnet test, then see if a battery with a wet q-tip etched it? i'm not sure if that would work i know it works on steel, not sure if it would also on aluminum.....
Tha ks I appreciate it man . Either way I'm gonna make one with what I got and work my way up from there. All help is much appreciated 🙏

Can you post a picture? Are you talking about Cornelius kegs or 1/2 barrel (15.5 gallon) commercial sanke kegs. Either will most likely be stainless steel.
I have a sanke 15.5

Attachments

• 20220202_090623.jpg
    20220202_090623.jpg
    801.9 KB · Views: 4
Stainless
Thanks so much for the help and I done a spark test in a s.all spot and it is definitely stainless. My reason for asking I guess was to know what direction to go as far as buying the proper triclamps and connectors and how I am going to build my collum and condenser. Obviously it will be made of copper or stainless but had it been aluminum id had to use a different approach

Hello and welcome to the forum, and the hobby. I just moved from AR to OKC last year. We have a long thread in the regional section if you want to get involved with some other brewers in the area. Most of us in that thread are from the central AR area.

Latest posts

Back