New from Philly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmin9

Reaction score
I decided to get onto this board to try to learn a little something about this hobby. I currently don't have any supplies, by my parents already told me they are getting me a Mr. Beer for Christmas. I used to live with a room mate who made his own beer, and i helped, and watched, and most importantly enjoyed, his beer. I am hoping to try and have my first batch ready by mid february if i can start right after Christmas.

go to ironhill and nottinghead....i miss phili :( My suggestion is to watch video's on youtube...easy as pie. Welcome to HBT

SO far in Philly, i have been to the Sly Fox(I knew a waitress there, got free beer all the time) and Victory. I'll have to check out the other two.

Nodding Head and Iron hill are nice. Triumph is good too. As is the General Lafayette right on the germantown pike.

If your into Belgian beers monks and Eulogy are a must visit.

I myself am planning on hitting brauhaus schmitz up as soon as possible.

I must admit, all these places are new to me, but i'll have to look them up. Except for my room mates home brew stuff, its only been about six months since i graduated from the college swill(Natty Light was my choice brew), but i don't think i can go back.

Welcome! If you hang around here long enough, your Mr. beer will become a dust collector very quickly and you will move on to buckets for fermentors and then onto all-grain.

If you are looking for great beer places, check out Local 44, Resurrection Ale House, Tria, Varga Bar, the P.O.P.E. and the Royal Tavern for some great craft beer. Tria has Pliny the Elder and Bell's Two Hearted on tap right now, both delicious.

Welcome from NE PA. Look around and get some ideas. Maybe you can talk your parents into getting a starter kit instead of a Mr. Beer. Not that Mr. Beer is bad(I started on one), but a starter kit is more versatile if you plan to continue and upgrade. I'm sure someone can supply a link to some of the excellent online vendors who carry these kits. Good luck to you.

Back