New fridge door

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beercity23

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone on here has any experience making a new door for a mini fridge? Mine was 10 bucks from a garage sale, but the door is BEAT. I have taken it off, and taken out the molded plastic, but the plastic around the frame of the door is bad too. It is also from the 60's so has that hideous wood grain paneling look. I would like to maybe make a glass door, or at least one with a stainless steel insert, so i can build it under my bar. My main issue is the frame and how to go about it. I have ZERO welding experience. I also need to make sure it closes and seals well enough, as well as insulates.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance guys!!:mug:

Personally I'd try to repair the existing door but my fabrication skills are horrible.

Does it seal at all? Is it just ugly or does it not function? With the existing door you have the proper dimensions to work with already.

Take a picture if you can. You'll get way better feedback.

Yeah, i will take a picture tonight.
The door is both ugly and doesnt function. But also broke around the frame. So i guess i need to build a frame... I would rather not use wood, because of it getting wet, etc..

Find a better looking fridge that doesn't work and use the internals to make it work.

I would use it to add to a fermentation chamber and buy another for the bar fridge, plenty of nice ones to for under $50 where I live anyway.

Ditto. The cost (and effort) to make a new door will exceed a decent looking unit on craigslist. A 60's unit is terrible for efficiency and who knows how long it's going to last.

Back