New England IPA New England Style TIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgallo

Instagram: bantam_brews
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
A24 -Dryhop
Yeast Starter
2 L
Batch Size (Gallons)
6.0 post boil to account for loses
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
1.018 - Abv 10.4%
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
18 day at 72*f
Grain bill
17lbs - Pilsner
3lbs - Malted Oats
2lbs - White Wheat
0.75lb - Honey Malt
1lb - dextrose
(My efficiency is around 63-65% on a grainbill this big so you’ll have to adjust for your big beer efficiency)

Mash @153*f for 60 mins Ph 5.35

Water Profile:
Ca: 92
Mg: 9
Cl: 162
Na: 71
So4: 106

Hops:
Riwaka - 7 oz
Nelson - 5 oz
Citra - 3 oz
Columbus - 2 oz

Yeast - Imperial A24 - dryhop

Hop Schedule:
- 1.0oz Columbus @ 60 mins
- 1.0oz Columbus @ 10 mins

Hopstand/whirlpool:
- 3.0 oz Riwaka @ 160*f
- 2.0 oz Nelson @ 160*f

Dryhop(2 stage):
4 days left to cold crash
- 2.0 oz Riwaka
- 1.5 oz Nelson
- 1.5 oz Citra

2 days left to cold crash
- 2.0 oz Riwaka
- 1.5 oz Nelson
- 1.5 oz Citra

Set for 2.5 vols of co2
Let condition for 2 weeks before first pour.

Use anti-oxygen best practices for your system for dryhoping, transferring, and kegging.

Before brewing this beer I had a very difficult time finding quality resources or recipes on this style. So I based this off my own experience and modeled it after Other Half and Equilibrium TIPAS

I’m very happy to share this recipe with the community. This beer came out amazing and the hop combo was exceptional. The hops pop with lots of tropical fruit, citrus, and white wine but have beautiful undertones of earth and dankness to add a well rounded complexity. The alcohol is very well hidden and the mouthfeel is pillow soft.

9A1FCC2D-4416-4902-BF59-60A6D71BD8B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful!!! I have been experimenting with the same thing because I can never find much info on TIPAs. I brew on my Grainfather so I will def have to scale this down. Everything looks great. I usually use Vienna and no honey. I will give that a try.

Thank you for sharing!!

what brand Pils? german? just made an 80% pils malt neipa and am going to taste soon. i was worried it might be too malty.

what brand Pils? german? just made an 80% pils malt neipa and am going to taste soon. i was worried it might be too malty.
This was Weyermann I believe. I wouldn’t worry to much about heavy malt flavors coming for Pilsner malt. Especially in a heavily hopped beer.

Hey Dgallo. Are you familiar with the big triple IPAs from Knee Deep Brewing? Simtra, Hop-Trio (Hoparillo)?

https://kneedeepbrewing.com/beers/
I have been trying a find a grain bill for those for ages. Hoparillo was one of the first beers I can remember that used the Citra, Mosaic and Amarillo hop combo before it became sooooo popular. I would really like to clone that bad boy.

Hey Dgallo. Are you familiar with the big triple IPAs from Knee Deep Brewing? Simtra, Hop-Trio (Hoparillo)?

https://kneedeepbrewing.com/beers/
I have been trying a find a grain bill for those for ages. Hoparillo was one of the first beers I can remember that used the Citra, Mosaic and Amarillo hop combo before it became sooooo popular. I would really like to clone that bad boy.
Yeah I used to drink a lot of their big ipas. I would think they have a very similar to a west coast grain bill. Anything I’ve had from them is on the more darker orange so would think some c40 or c60

Maybe 90 % 2row, 7% Vienna, 3% C40.

Yeah I used to drink a lot of their big ipas. I would think they have a very similar to a west coast grain bill. Anything I’ve had from them is on the more darker orange so would think some c40 or c60

Maybe 90 % 2row, 7% Vienna, 3% C40.

Yes! Gonna give that a spin. Thank you!!

Great to see this post @Dgallo ! Ive seen your other posts on this beer when you "released" it on other threads so I know you wanted the Riwaka and Nelson to be the feature hops in this recipe and your posted hop schedule definitely supports that. So Im interested in strategies in building hop profiles when someone wants to feature a hop or hop pairing such as you did here.

So my question is this: how did you come up with the ratio of riwaka and nelson? I see that you have a little more riwaka than nelson in both whirlpool and dry hop. Is this simply based on your own sensory experience in judging perhaps that nelson is naturally more "potent" than riwaka?

I looked up the stats on riwaka and nelson on hoplist.com and noticed that riwaka has 0.8ml/100g total oil composition and 4.5-6.5% Alpha Acid content compared to Nelson having 1.1ml/100g total oils and 12-13% Alpha Acids.

I know some people use the "smell the hops out of the bag and feature which ever smells best" approach but wanted to pick your brain on whether the increased Riwaka vs Nelson decision was based on your own previous experience OR the hops composition statistics I just stated OR you simply wanted to have more Riwaka presence compared to Nelson?

Thanks for your time and you definitely rocked this beer from what Ive seen! Cheers!

ok, i racked the pils ipa tonight. it has a really nice malt flavor but not like when used in a lager! it's the lightest neipa i have ever made in my life. crazy light. it looks like lemonade. it's also very dry. i think i'll experiment a bit more with Pils malt in ipa. I think it would work well in a high ABV version as you are using it as it ferments down pretty low and makes for a very dry tasting beer.

This was Weyermann I believe. I wouldn’t worry to much about heavy malt flavors coming for Pilsner malt. Especially in a heavily hopped beer.

Great to see this post @Dgallo ! Ive seen your other posts on this beer when you "released" it on other threads so I know you wanted the Riwaka and Nelson to be the feature hops in this recipe and your posted hop schedule definitely supports that. So Im interested in strategies in building hop profiles when someone wants to feature a hop or hop pairing such as you did here.

So my question is this: how did you come up with the ratio of riwaka and nelson? I see that you have a little more riwaka than nelson in both whirlpool and dry hop. Is this simply based on your own sensory experience in judging perhaps that nelson is naturally more "potent" than riwaka?

I looked up the stats on riwaka and nelson on hoplist.com and noticed that riwaka has 0.8ml/100g total oil composition and 4.5-6.5% Alpha Acid content compared to Nelson having 1.1ml/100g total oils and 12-13% Alpha Acids.

I know some people use the "smell the hops out of the bag and feature which ever smells best" approach but wanted to pick your brain on whether the increased Riwaka vs Nelson decision was based on your own previous experience OR the hops composition statistics I just stated OR you simply wanted to have more Riwaka presence compared to Nelson?

Thanks for your time and you definitely rocked this beer from what Ive seen! Cheers!
So it’s kinda all 3 of the things you listed.

I first start thinking of which hops would really work well with each other for the flavor profile I want in a beer.

Once I decide what hops I want to use I take look at the total oil content and experience into account. This leads into determining what my ratio. Riwaka is 1.5ml/100g (Riwaka — New Zealand Hops) and Nelson is exactly like you stated 1.1ml/100g meaning Riwaka has a 3:2 oil content Ratio to Nelson. So when I based their usage ratio I wanted it to be close to that but since I really love Nelson, I gave it slightly more impacted with it being 5:7. Then I just copied as close to that ratio in the Whirlpool and Dryhop based on percentages of total hop usage from boil, WH, DH.

Now to the Citra and Columbus. I knew I wanted them both to play a supporting role. I needed to use more Citra because I wanted a more pronounced undertone of citrus and I know Citra is the primary citrus forward hop in my bill but it will also help bring some of the citrus character out of Columbus. Columbus I used for an earth dank note. Since both Riwaka and Nelson throw some machine oil/ dank notes into a beer, I new the Columbus would help elevate it and create complexity.

I hope I explained that well. This is how I’ve been trying to do it recently and I’m 3 for 3. Just did a beer with cashmere, Amarillo, Citra, and sabro, so I’m hoping this beer will give it a 4 for 4

Last edited:

I first start thinking of which hops would really work well with each other for the flavor profile I want in a beer.

Once I decide what hops I want to use I take look at the total oil content and experience into account. This leads into determining what my ratio. Riwaka is 1.5ml/100g (Riwaka — New Zealand Hops) and Nelson is exactly like you stated 1.1ml/100g meaning Riwaka has a 3:2 oil content Ratio to Nelson. So when I based their usage ratio I wanted it to be close to that but since I really love Nelson, I gave it slightly more impacted with it being 5:7. Then I just copied as close to that ratio in the Whirlpool and Dryhop based on percentages of total hop usage from boil, WH, DH.

Now to the Citra and Columbus. I knew I wanted them both to play a supporting wrong. I needed to use more Citra because I wanted a more pronounced undertone of citrus and I know Citra and help bring some of the city’s character out of Columbus. Columbus I used for an earth dank note. Since both Riwaka and Nelson throw some machine oil/ dank notes into a beer, I new the Columbus would help elevate it and create complexity.

I hope I explained that well. This is how I’ve been trying to do it recently and I’m 3 for 3. Just did a beer with cashmere, Amarillo, Citra, and sabro, so I’m hoping this beer will give it a 4 for 4

This explains it very well thanks! Been tryin myself to use total oil content as part of the basis for strategically deciding on hop ratios so always good to see how others are doing it. Also Ive recently switched from using warrior, which is more clean for bitterness, to Columbus for the boil kettle and finding it adds a great pungent/dank dimension to my most recent NEIPAs that I love!

Other lesson learned here: don't trust third party hop specs as hopslist was way off on the Riwaka total oil content listing it as 0.8. lol Riwaka - Hopslist

FWIW Im sure you will pull off a 4 for 4 on your newest creation. My only issue is....I HATE COCONUT! So I don't think sabro is in my near future lol.

Thanks!

Grain bill
17lbs - Pilsner
3lbs - Malted Oats
2lbs - White Wheat
0.75lb - Honey Malt
1lb - dextrose
(My efficiency is around 63-65% on a grainbill this big so you’ll have to adjust for your big beer efficiency)

Water Profile:

Hops:
Riwaka - 7 oz
Nelson - 5 oz
Citra - 3 oz
Columbus - 2 oz

Hop Schedule:

Hopstand/whirlpool:
- 3.0 oz Riwaka @ 160*f
- 2.0 oz Nelson @ 160*f

Dryhop(2 stage):
- 2.0 oz Riwaka
- 1.5 oz Nelson
- 1.5 oz Citra

- 2.0 oz Riwaka
- 1.5 oz Nelson
- 1.5 oz Citra

Set for 2.5 vols of co2

Use anti-oxygen best practices for your system for dryhoping, transferring, and kegging.

Before brewing this beer I had a very difficult time finding quality resources or recipes on this style. So I based this off my own experience and modeled it after Other Half and Equilibrium TIPAS

I’m very happy to share this recipe with the community. This beer came out amazing and the hop combo was exceptional. The hops pop with lots of tropical fruit, citrus, and white wine but have beautiful undertones of earth and dankness to add a well rounded complexity. The alcohol is very well hidden and the mouthfeel is pillow soft.

View attachment 678776
Looks great, where’d you get the riwaka? I saw some on YVH but waited too long and it sold out

Now to the Citra and Columbus. I knew I wanted them both to play a supporting role. I needed to use more Citra because I wanted a more pronounced undertone of citrus and I know Citra is the primary citrus forward hop in my bill but it will also help bring some of the citrus character out of Columbus. Columbus I used for an earth dank note. Since both Riwaka and Nelson throw some machine oil/ dank notes into a beer, I new the Columbus would help elevate it and create complexity.

This is a really awesome way of thinking about/working out hop combos. For the Citra and Columbus, was there a reason you went away from the oil content ratios for these 2 hops? Just a feel and experience thing from that point?

Beer looks amazing BTW!

This is a really awesome way of thinking about/working out hop combos. For the Citra and Columbus, was there a reason you went away from the oil content ratios for these 2 hops? Just a feel and experience thing from that point?

Beer looks amazing BTW!
Thank you! It came out really good.

I didn't actually go away from the oil content idea, i just didn't type out how i used oil to also impact that one, just described my experience with it. I compared the citra to the Riwaka and then columbus to cira. Citra has a 2.2ml/100g. so citra is 4:3 to Riwaka in oil content, meaning id have to use 1.33 oz of Riwaka to be equal to 1.0 oz citra. Since i wanted Riwaka to be twice as prominent as citra in contribution, I nearly doubled the riwaka amount. Columbus is roughly 1.8 ml/100g so pretty close to citra. I wanted citra to dominate columbus only slightly and by using both hops together quite a bit, i went with the 2 to 3 columbus to citra.

Last edited:
what does the Riwaka bring to the flavor in practice?
Riwaka is a really cool hop with some complexity. It has this intense tropical fruit character with a distinct fruit rind, but not quite citrus. Tropical rind is the best I can describe it. It has notes of passionfruit as well. In addition to fruity notes it has thy dank/diesel notes that NZ hops get with a touch of cut grass. It’s rather complex. I haven’t done a single hop beer with it but I’ve had Double Riwaka from HF and it’s a great hop for single hop beers

Have you tried making this and adding the sugar or at least some of the sugar mid fermentation? I wonder if that could make these huge ABV TIPAs even smoother and lighter on the palate.

Have you tried making this and adding the sugar or at least some of the sugar mid fermentation? I wonder if that could make these huge ABV TIPAs even smoother and lighter on the palate.
I have not. I didn’t experience any harsh alcohols but it’s probably not a bad option to try

Last edited:
What do you think about swapping Idaho 7 in for Nelson? Both have similar AA%, but I can't find exact total oils in Idaho 7. All I can find is a range of 1.0-1.6ml/100g.

What do you think about swapping Idaho 7 in for Nelson? Both have similar AA%, but I can't find exact total oils in Idaho 7. All I can find is a range of 1.0-1.6ml/100g.
I bet it would be great. I like idaho 7 a lot and people are saying that the 2019 crop from YVH has alot of orange notes in it too

So, I replaced Nelson 1:1 with Idaho 7 in my recipe, but I don't have enough Citra (1.5 oz left). My question is, would you still leave the Columbus at 2oz if there's only 1.5oz of Citra or would you drop it to something like 1oz Columbus to 1.5oz Citra?
Alternatively, I was thinking that I could keep all of the hops the same (2oz Columbus, 7oz Riwaka, etc.) except for my 1.5oz of Citra and maybe add .75oz of galaxy in the dry hop.

So, I replaced Nelson 1:1 with Idaho 7 in my recipe, but I don't have enough Citra (1.5 oz left). My question is, would you still leave the Columbus at 2oz if there's only 1.5oz of Citra or would you drop it to something like 1oz Columbus to 1.5oz Citra?
Alternatively, I was thinking that I could keep all of the hops the same (2oz Columbus, 7oz Riwaka, etc.) except for my 1.5oz of Citra and maybe add .75oz of galaxy in the dry hop.
You can technically do what ever you’d like. I chose those ratios because of the flavor I wanted to get from each hop. I’d you know you like galaxy, use that. You could also just make up for the Citra by subbing in Columbus in the dry. Any decision you make will change the beer a little bit it will still be very good.

I’d personally keep the Columbus for the ibus and flavor profile in boil. I’d just go with 1.5oz Citra and 1.5oz Galaxy. Galaxy will pair well with riwaka in the Dryhop and pull more passionfruit character out. I’d do the Citra in the first dryhop and the Galaxy in the second.

But like I said and thing you choose will be fine.

Last edited:
You can technically do what ever you’d like. I chose those ratio because of the amount of flavor I wanted to get from each hop. I’d you know you like galaxy, use that. You could also just make up for the Citra by subbing in Columbus in the dry. Any decision you make will change the beer a little bit it will still be very good.

I’d personally keep the Columbus for the ibus and flavor profile in boil. I’d just go with 1.5oz Citra and 1.5oz Galaxy. Galaxy will pair well with riwaka in the Dryhop and pull more passionfruit character out. I’d do the Citra in the first dryhop and the Galaxy in the second.

But like I said and thing you choose will be fine.
Thanks for the insight. I love the Citra/Galaxy combo. I'll be brewing tomorrow and I'll check in with an update of the finished product. Cheers!

Thank you. That’s where I got them bought 3-8oz packs. I’m all out though and I haven’t seen it anywhere.

YVH said the southern hemisphere had a bumper crop of hops this year (20% increase maybe?), so they expect to be fully stocked later this summer. I think I saw this on reddit btw.

Edit: also will be brewing a pineapple milkshake TIPA next weekend. Vic secret, Azacca, Sabro and Galaxy (plus fresh pineapple purée), will have to crunch some oil numbers and see where I’m at!

YVH said the southern hemisphere had a bumper crop of hops this year (20% increase maybe?), so they expect to be fully stocked later this summer. I think I saw this on reddit btw.

Edit: also will be brewing a pineapple milkshake TIPA next weekend. Vic secret, Azacca, Sabro and Galaxy (plus fresh pineapple purée), will have to crunch some oil numbers and see where I’m at!
Nice! I just recently had a triple pineapple milkshake ipa from Beer Tree. too heavy on the lactose in my opinion but still really good. Flavors worked well together

Also, how did you feel about the 70 IBUs, spot on to balance malt sweetness/ABV?
I planned it so my BU/GU was about .75 and I really think it was the right call. Seemed to keep everything in the right balance and oddly crushable for a big beer.

A question that i have been meaning to find clarification for some time. When I brew I target for 8 gallons in my FV and then when I package i usually leave 1/2 gallon in my left in the FV and 5 gal into the keg. Now how do i calculate my hop ratio (ounces/gallon)to compare it to what everyone else is referencing in this thread. This has always been confusing to me. Would i just take the total hops i used(hot+dry hop) and divide them by 5 gallons?

I guess the confusing part of this for me is that when doing hot side additions i have 8.5 gallons of wort with 8 ounces of hops and for the cold side additions I DH with 6 ounces of hops. So to compare apples to apples with everyone else on here, would I just take 14 ounces divided by 5 gallons to get and ending ratio of 2.8 oz/gallon. I just want to be able to compare what I am doing to everyone else's ratios. Because you can get very different ratios depending on what volume of wort you use.

So on the hotside, I don’t typically worry about a Oz/gal ratio. If I did I would base it off my finals knock out volume that was cooled and ready to rack which I’d about 6.5-6.75. Then I’m at 6 gallons of wort in the fermenter. I calculate my dryhop rate oz/gallon from that 6 gallon.

For total hop usage I just will base it off the final package volume. It’s just quicker and easier that way that calculating it based off the changing of volumes

So on the hotside, I don’t typically worry about a Oz/gal ratio. If I did I would base it off my finals knock out volume that was cooled and ready to rack which I’d about 6.5-6.75. Then I’m at 6 gallons of wort in the fermenter. I calculate my dryhop rate oz/gallon from that 6 gallon.

For total hop usage I just will base it off the final package volume. It’s just quicker and easier that way that calculating it based off the changing of volumes

Thanks for clarifying that makes sense

Grain bill
17lbs - Pilsner
3lbs - Malted Oats
2lbs - White Wheat
0.75lb - Honey Malt
1lb - dextrose

Water Profile:

Hops:
Riwaka - 7 oz
Nelson - 5 oz
Citra - 3 oz
Columbus - 2 oz

Hop Schedule:

Hopstand/whirlpool:
- 3.0 oz Riwaka @ 160*f
- 2.0 oz Nelson @ 160*f

Dryhop(2 stage):
- 2.0 oz Riwaka
- 1.5 oz Nelson
- 1.5 oz Citra

- 2.0 oz Riwaka
- 1.5 oz Nelson
- 1.5 oz Citra

Set for 2.5 vols of co2

View attachment 678776

Sounds like an awesome recipe. I have such easy access, so i might have to give it a crack.

Back