New Danstar Belle Saison Dry Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a 1.048 lambic wort that never took off after using what was apparently a bum batch of ECY-01 (zero, and I mean zero activity after 72hrs). I ended up using a pack of this yeast I got at NHC, and the beer took off in a few hours after re-hydrating.

What am I going to end up with? Who knows. Could be interesting, could be terrible. Have to believe there is some Brett/bacteria in the bucket along with this yeast, so I will let it ride for 6 months and see what happens.

ok then! so no cinnamon, just let the yeast ride.. still, i wanna test some acai and see what i think. maybe a split 3/3 gal. batches.

g-star - that could actually be a really interesting saison! back in the day saison brewers shared yeast cultures and after a while they would acquire "bugs" like brett and lacto. I think you could advertise or call that brew an old world saison. I would bottle condition it and keep it around for a bit. depending on you IBUs you could have a nice mix of funk. was it originally going to be a lambic beer? keep me posted on this brew. if you have a minute post the recipe on my local home brew clubs website on the forum section under "recipe exchange" see www.gonzobrewers.com I also have a section on the forum section on a oresentation I did on saisons with some good recipes and and exert from Farmhouse Ales

Bottled my saison today. It was cold crashed and really tasty cold. Definitely spicy and a little cidery. Tasted like fruit juice but in a good way. Slightly tart and delicious. Fermented in mid high 80s for 2 weeks and cold crashed for one.

This yeast is a beast only a few short hours after pitching and it was on its way to the point a blow off tube was attached!

image-3830183768.jpg

Yeah it was crazy to see how fast it started fermenting. After 2 hours I had bubbles. I'm sure the 85f temp helped.

nice, m3n00b!
i just kegged my saison today. yesterday i tasted it and got a great lemon zest zing with a slight, barely noticable white pepper. not a huge belgian/dirty sock yeast taste. just smooth, light, citrusy hit. i added a dried and chopped orange peel, and 1tsp coriander, and a tablespoon of peppercorn blend. today, tasted again and it was ready. kegged it tonight. i had reservations about using this yeast since i have used t-58 and like it... but this one is slightly less 'peppery' i guess (so the reason for the added pepper). fermented at a steady 81 for ~three weeks. your brew looks nicely carbed and has a great color!

Thanks tewa! I've gone through almost a whole case already. Such a refreshing brew! Glad yours same out well.

I finally got to use the Belle Saison yeast that came in the NHC bag.

Adapted a found Saison recipe and besides the 8 lbs of 2-row and 1.5 lbs of various cara malts, I included 2 pounds of Red Wheat Malt (17%). After careful re-hydration I pitched the Belle Saison at 80°F on Tuesday 8/13 @ 4:00 a.m., and let it naturally rise to 86.5°F during the first day and night. It cooled off to 75° by the end of today, the 3rd day.

BelgianSaison_600_zps28c1157f.jpg

Belle Saison yeast in a Belgian Saison after 18 hours. Fermentation Temp is 85.6°F. Krausen has already fallen.

Starting with an OG of 1.062, I just took a sample and it's down to 1.010 already in less than 72 hours! The gravity sample tastes amazing, and very witbeer like. Definitely bananas, some cloves, perhaps some phenolics, not sure what to taste for with those, and some complex esters (fruitiness). It is still active so I'll let it ride a few more days. I might split it up and sour half of it. Any suggestions?

This is a very promising yeast. The re-hydration procedure seems picky but important. There is only a narrow temperature range and the yeast can't be re-hydrated in wort, only water. The instructions provided, even on DanStar's website are incomplete. I extrapolated it with the one given for Notty. First you hydrate without stirring for half an hour. Then you must stir it to dissolve all the yeast, and let it sit another 10 minutes, before you pitch. Pitching directly into wort may kill it.

After I rack this off I'll start another one with some of the harvested yeast.
Thanks for this post; it reassures me about my attempt. I made two gallons of wort using 2 lbs pilsner malt, 1 lb wheat malt, and 1 lb unmalted red winter wheat, and mixed it with two gallons from a Mr. Beer seasonal offering saison HME, that came with a packet of the Belle Saison. I have no idea what hops were in the HME. In the AG portion I added 1 oz Mt. Hood to the boil for an hour, and another oz for ten minutes.

Unfortunately I had misplaced my brand new hydrometer, so I have no idea what the OG was. I rehydrated and pitched the Belle Saison and set my fermenter temp at 68*F (20*C), and this is what it looked like 24 hours later:

It had me seriously wondering whether I should rig a blow-off before leaving for work. But by the next day, the krausen had already fallen. It's stayed pretty skimpy ever since (this is day 5), but the airlock is still bubbling steadily away.

I've been stepping up the temperature slowly; it's at 79*F (26*C) now. Anyone have any friendly advice on temps from here on out?

Temps don't really matter at this point. Just keep it warm til it finishes out. I fermented at 85-88f and a local judge just gave me a 38 on it. not bad.

Gentledudes, I am blown away by the science by which you made your beers there. Blown. Away. I made an all grain batch with crap efficiency hitting only 1.060 instead of my hoped for 1.075. Popped open the yeast packet, threw it in @ 80* Let it do it's thing between there and 85ish for ~4 weeks. Did a transfer and a dry addition for an additional 10 days. FG was .998 giving me an ~8.4%

I'm sorta wanting to trade you for a beer because I would love to see the differences!

I brewed with this around August and kept it in a closet that stayed at about 75 degrees. Fermentation was super fast and bottled after about a month. I did an extract with steeping grains brew as this was only my 2nd batch. Came out great but I think I might have added too much yeast. I added half a packet to one gallon of wort. The result beer had a some funk, tart, spice, and slight melon flavor. There was a big breadiness to it that I think might have been from adding too much of the yeast. Overall though a great yeast and will definitely be trying other Danstar yeasts in future brews.

Seconding all that have been said here.

Simple pilsner+saaz recipe, O.G. 1052. Within 7 days at roughly 70-75°F the S.G. is 1.000. Might even drop a point or two further eventually. Nice flavour so far, light banana, light funk.

My question here is - How long to keep it in the primary before bottling?

Pitched this in a holiday ale to give it some spiciness/fruitiness and nailed it. It's delicious after conditioning for two weeks, great fruit and spice with some dark fruit and roast notes. Starts out with the fruit and drys out at the back end with coffee and dark chocolate. Here's the 5 gallon recipe:

Mashed at 150

5 lbs Pilsner & 5 lbs 2-row
.5 lbs Crystal 60
.5 lbs Special B
.25 lbs Chocolate
.25 lbs Roast B
.13 lbs Black Malt
.5 lbs Flaked Barley

.5 oz Northern Brewer (10.3 AA) First Wort Hop
1 oz Tettnanger

1 pack Belle Saison, pitched at 75

OG 1.050 (horrible efficiency 58 percent)
FG 1.006

5.7 ABV

I pitched at 75 and it shot up to 80 at high krausen. I pitched it high A: Because I could. And B: Because I was hoping to get some nice esters and some fruit qualities because I think that the belle saison will offer spicy notes even at those high temps. And the Tettnanger hops went in at 10 mins. I really loved the floral notes on these hops. It was in the primary for three weeks and skipped the secondary. The yeast and the tettnangers were chosen for the fruity and spicy qualities. Not saying its a perfect brew, I think its going to become more roasty with time and the fruit will likely drop out. But right now, it's exactly what I wanted.

i am planning to use this yeast on my next saison. should i:
1. not add any table sugar
2. add it after it chomps thru the DME and Fermentation starts to slow
3. keep as is

Here is the recipe:

4 gallons:
5 lbs of Golden DME (SRM 10)
1 lb of table sugar

.75 oz Pride of Ringwood - 60
.25 oz Styrian Goldings - 30
.25 oz Pride of Ringwood - 15
.75 oz Styrian Goldings - 5
and some sort of spice addition at 5 (citrus zest, coriander or if i can find Grains of Paradise)

or might go all Styrian Goldings for bittering and flavor.

Keep at 70 for the first 3 days. then bring up to room temp...which hovers between 77-82 depending on the time of day

i am planning to use this yeast on my next saison. should i:
1. not add any table sugar
2. add it after it chomps thru the DME and Fermentation starts to slow
3. keep as is

Here is the recipe:

4 gallons:
5 lbs of Golden DME (SRM 10)
1 lb of table sugar

.75 oz Pride of Ringwood - 60
.25 oz Styrian Goldings - 30
.25 oz Pride of Ringwood - 15
.75 oz Styrian Goldings - 5
and some sort of spice addition at 5 (citrus zest, coriander or if i can find Grains of Paradise)

or might go all Styrian Goldings for bittering and flavor.

Keep at 70 for the first 3 days. then bring up to room temp...which hovers between 77-82 depending on the time of day

1 lb of sugar should be fine to add at the beginning.

I say skip the sugar, this yeast doesn't have any problem drying out a beer, and you don't want the body to come off too thin, which in my experience has not been a problem when using a malt based wort.

I say skip the sugar, this yeast doesn't have any problem drying out a beer, and you don't want the body to come off too thin, which in my experience has not been a problem when using a malt based wort.

That is true. I just did a quick extract Saison with just DME and a couple of steeping grains and it took the gravity from 1.046 to 1.001 with no sugar in the recipe. That was my first time using this yeast and I can't believe how much it attenuated. Ridiculous!

That is true. I just did a quick extract Saison with just DME and a couple of steeping grains and it took the gravity from 1.046 to 1.001 with no sugar in the recipe. That was my first time using this yeast and I can't believe how much it attenuated. Ridiculous!

wow, yea i will skip it for sure. no need to go any lower that that!

add spices if you want, but the yeast will provide plenty of spiciness.

if you add spices, you won't be able to get a good feel for the yeast... you won't know what is responsible for those spicy flavors!

Ended up with about 2 gal excess ipa wort yesterday, decided to pitch a package of belle I had received as a prize at a home brew comp. It started extremely fast, within 3 hours of pitching. It's fermenting in the low 70s now; I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Ended up with about 2 gal excess ipa wort yesterday, decided to pitch a package of belle I had received as a prize at a home brew comp. It started extremely fast, within 3 hours of pitching. It's fermenting in the low 70s now; I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Hmm...banana IPA?

I pulled a sample of an ipa with this yeast a week into primary, it's already at 0.998 and pretty tasty. It's not as hop forward as the version brewed with Conan, and has some nice, but not overwhelming, Belgian character. It's got some cloves and pepper, and some fruitiness that could come from the yeast or hops. I will probably end up liking the Conan version slightly better, but it is fun to experiment :)

Anyone have any experience yet with this yeast at cooler ferm temps? I pitched yesterday into 1.052 wort and it's at 68-70 room temp.

I've had GREAT success with this yeast in the past, but each time it was at 78 room temp.

Anyone have any experience yet with this yeast at cooler ferm temps? I pitched yesterday into 1.052 wort and it's at 68-70 room temp.

Hi,
I used it the first time at:
- pitching at 18°C;
- krausen at 19°C;
- when fermentation was almost done, slowly ramped up to 22°C.
Turned out great but I ended up making the same batch and using the same fermentation temp profile, just 1°C higher. Turned out a bit better. And, quoting Charlie Bamforth, I won't apologize for using the metrical system ;)

Cheers from Italy! :mug:
Piteko

I am going to give this a try in my late winter/early Spring saison, Thaw. Its a 50/50 blend of Oat Malt and Pale Ale Malt with cascade hops. Its modeled after a beer I had at Tired Hands this fall, wish I knew what yeast they were using. I emailed once and they never answered me. 3726 is my usual yeast but its a seasonal so I rely on starters and washing yeast to keep my supply year round, hope I like this yeast.

3726 is my usual yeast but its a seasonal so I rely on starters and washing yeast to keep my supply year round, hope I like this yeast.

I have to say that Danstar belle saison and windsor have surprised me. I started with liquid yeasts and, after many years, I ended trying dried ones. This two are not as good as liquid ones but they are very interesting. The ratio work and money vs. flavour profile is incredibly high and I think I will at least keep one in the fridge, just in case.
On the other side, they are strange with attenuation. Belle saison is extremely attenuating, windsor is exactly the opposite. Anyway, with some tuning they work really well, in my humble opinion. Now I'm giving a try at Nottingham and it seems interesting too.
Cheers from Italy!! :mug:
Piteko

I have to say that Danstar belle saison and windsor have surprised me. I started with liquid yeasts and, after many years, I ended trying dried ones. This two are not as good as liquid ones but they are very interesting. The ratio work and money vs. flavour profile is incredibly high and I think I will at least keep one in the fridge, just in case.
On the other side, they are strange with attenuation. Belle saison is extremely attenuating, windsor is exactly the opposite. Anyway, with some tuning they work really well, in my humble opinion. Now I'm giving a try at Nottingham and it seems interesting too.
Cheers from Italy!! :mug:
Piteko

I've used the Belle Saison yeast three times, including once on a straightforward copy of Shipwrecked Saison. I just ordered a five-pack of it online, if that gives you any idea what I think of its performance....

The first time was basically with no temperature control; I was still putting gear together. It came out good. The second time was at low-to-medium temperatures; it came out good. The third time, I ramped up to 90 degrees F for a week, then backed off to 80. I'm expecting it to come out good....

I just ordered a five-pack of it online, if that gives you any idea what I think of its performance....

HAHAHAH!!! :D

The third time, I ramped up to 90 degrees F for a week, then backed off to 80. I'm expecting it to come out good....

I would expect the same. Please let us know which are the main flavours you catch. 90 degrees are pretty high and I'm interested if the pepper (or something else) covers the rest or not...

Cheers from Italy (and, by the way, the dilbert signature rules :D )! :mug:
Piteko

Just brewed an all extract (DME + candi-sugar) Belgian Golden Ale using the Danstar Belle Saison yeast.

1.081 OG
1.006 FG

Aerated by vigorously shaking carboy for 2 minutes. Constant 68F for 21 days.

Can't wait to try it! Bottled it Friday night. Extremely satisfied with this yeast's attenuation. I harvested the cake and will use again.

Just brewed an all extract (DME + candi-sugar) Belgian Golden Ale using the Danstar Belle Saison yeast.

1.081 OG
1.006 FG

Aerated by vigorously shaking carboy for 2 minutes. Constant 68F for 21 days.

Can't wait to try it! Bottled it Friday night. Extremely satisfied with this yeast's attenuation. I harvested the cake and will use again.

I'll be interested in hearing about what phenolics and esters you get out of the yeast at this temp. I've had one at 68 ambient for 9 days and it's still off-gassing at a pretty good rate. The airlock sniff is very fruity.

I'll be interested in hearing about what phenolics and esters you get out of the yeast at this temp. I've had one at 68 ambient for 9 days and it's still off-gassing at a pretty good rate. The airlock sniff is very fruity.

Will let you know how the final product is.

The off-gassing and krausen hung around for 2+ weeks, still fermenting, then it all stopped and went away within 24 hours like a switch was tripped. Airlock sniff was fruity (citrus-y / sweet) for me too. Sipping the warm uncarbed beer at bottling was fresh, fruity, and spicy. Definitely needs plenty of time to improve.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Back