Quantcast

any other styles I could try with Belle Saison yeast?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

twd000

Reaction score
I brewed the Drew Beechum simple saison recipe about 6 weeks ago and used Lallemand Belle Saison yeast at about 80F. I'm happy with the results, but that's not remarkable in any way.

What's amazing is that my wife is drinking it! Like a full pint at a time. She never drinks beer - she is a cabernet drinker. She hates hops (aroma and bitterness). At one point in college she was known to enjoy a Blue Moon or two.

I can't figure out what she likes - the dry finish from the yeast consuming distaticus, or something else? The saison has a very smooth mouthfeel but no peppery notes that I can detect. It's a chugger for sure.

I'm thinking about trying another style to see if she'll drink that one too. The Lallemand site is not helpful - it only lists saison. Surely there is some other style which would complement this yeast, or will everything just turn out tasting like saison? (good, but not different)

Maybe an American wheat style?
or some dark Belgian style substituting Belle for the abbey ale yeasts?
What about a tripel? Would a diastaticus and POF+ strain be inappropriate there? Would certainly guarantee a non-cloying dry finish!

dwhite60

Reaction score
I brewed the Drew Beechum simple saison recipe about 6 weeks ago and used Lallemand Belle Saison yeast at about 80F. I'm happy with the results, but that's not remarkable in any way.

What's amazing is that my wife is drinking it! Like a full pint at a time. She never drinks beer - she is a cabernet drinker. She hates hops (aroma and bitterness). At one point in college she was known to enjoy a Blue Moon or two.

I can't figure out what she likes - the dry finish from the yeast consuming distaticus, or something else? The saison has a very smooth mouthfeel but no peppery notes that I can detect. It's a chugger for sure.

I'm thinking about trying another style to see if she'll drink that one too. The Lallemand site is not helpful - it only lists saison. Surely there is some other style which would complement this yeast, or will everything just turn out tasting like saison? (good, but not different)

Maybe an American wheat style?
or some dark Belgian style substituting Belle for the abbey ale yeasts?
What about a tripel? Would a diastaticus and POF+ strain be inappropriate there? Would certainly guarantee a non-cloying dry finish!
The American Wheat isn't a bad idea. Might work real nice in it. Belle Saison doesn't have the peppery and fruity flavor some saison yeasts do.

jswillbrewforbeer

Reaction score
Used Belle Saison in a sort of imperial Belgian IPA/ Super Saison. Mostly Pilsner with around 10% raw wheat, loads of Amarillo at flameout. I personally really loved it, perfect hops/esters/phenols when young, (big orange, pineapple, peach and banana.)

OP
T

twd000

Reaction score
I'm going with the Belgian Witbier from Brewing Classic Styles. Wish me luck!

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
Sure, you can make lots of "styles" with a saison strain. It's still going to taste much like a saison.

Pozzi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to give this a go in an experimental beer soon. Trying to make a low calorie beer big on fruit flavours. Shooting for about 4%, mash at 65C for 90 mins and lots of late and dry hop additions. Was thinking I7/Amarillo/mosaic. So far brew father says 30kcal per 100ml.

Miraculix

Reaction score
For me, belle saison does not taste like a saison strain. It has the attenuation but it lacks all the peppery notes and/or spicyness. Therefore, it should work in alll styles, it is just relatively clean.

Pozzi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For me, belle saison does not taste like a saison strain. It has the attenuation but it lacks all the peppery notes and/or spicyness. Therefore, it should work in alll styles, it is just relatively clean.
That was my thinking, should work quite well to get the FG down low and clean.

cactusgarrett

Reaction score
Biere de Garde. There's even a lot of variation within that "style" - many pros even can't come together to define style specifics. You could also fruit some of your "boring" saison. Split batches (fruit and non-fruit) could keep both you and your wife happy.

dwhite60

Reaction score
On a tangent. I made a stout last year and pitched WB-04 wheat beer yeast because of bad planning. Certainly did not come out bad. Might even make this again.

If you like a dry stout Belle Saison will get you dry.