New counter flow chiller questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhousebrew

Reaction score
So I used to use a friends plate chiller but don't have easy access to it anymore and thought it could clog a bit to easily so I went out and got a counterflow chiller. It's a bit wider and I'm going to be running it with a small pump so I don't think clogging will be an issue. But it's copper and way bigger than the plate chiller which I used to just soak in Star San so I wanted some opinions on sanitizing and storing.

They recommended to run iodophor through it and to cap it at both ends and just store it that way ready for use. Only problem is that I bought some compression fittings so that I can attach my tubing too it so I don't know how I would cap it off.

Leading me to my second idea of running boiling wort through it to sanitize. How long do I need to do that to properly sanitize everything? And what would be a good way to store it?

I'm planning on running some boiling or extremely hot PBW through it to sanitize and will be running a hop bag as well so not to worried about cleaning. Just the initial sanitizing and storage.

So apparently they make these crazy things called pipe caps which should screw right onto the compression fittings I'll be using.... Geeze talking about needing to do some research before posting....

Anyways... still looking for any opinions on what other people do.

I have a stainless steel one. When I first got it I ran some TSP through it to remove any residual oils in it, rinsed it with hot water and then I ran StarSan through it to sanitize it.

Now what I do it runt the pump about 15 minutes to flame out and recirculate the boiling wort to sterilize it (since it's already clean). Then once the boil is up, I start cooling.

After brewing, I clean it by recirculating hot PBW through it for about 10 - 15 minutes minutes and then I fush it with clean hot water. After I let it drain out, I just leave it as is until next brew session where I will flush it with hot water real quick and then connect it all back up.

Back