NEW corny prep question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianMac

Reaction score
Just received 2 new ball lock corny kegs.
My question is they seemed to be coated with an oil or some waxy coating, what should I clean them with?
If it helps the we're purchased from AIH.
Thanks,
Brian

I soaked mine in hot water and PBW. then i used a toilet scrubber (new) and brushed the inside. Rinse and sanitize and there good to go.

I just soak w: BBrite in hot water (1tbsp/ga) for about an hour. I also pressurize and flush the dip tube w/ the BBrite solution.
I then rinse w/ cold water and also flush through the dip tube.
If I'm not going to use right away I give them a quick rinse w/ StarSan.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would tear them all down, Pull posts, poppit valves and tubes etc, give them a good cleaning also. Check all O rings and lube them up. I add Star San, pressurize and run it out the out post and pressure relief valve. The keg is purged, sanatized and ready to fill.

Great advice guys. I was thinking about giving the a douse of orange cleaner to cut the oil, then a bbrite or pbw and starsan treatment.

TSP is a good cleaner for residual fabrication oils and gunk. Rinse afterward with warm water. Your could then PBW if you're paranoid like me. Then starsan, pressurize as others have described above.

I also like to break everything down and soak separately in all solutions as above and then reassemble while dripping with starsan. Keglube, of course, on all orings.

Back