New Cider batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
image-2859188779.jpg

Got my grains heating up to 155*
I got oats and English extra dark crystal, 2lbs total. I'm going to attempt a partial mash, and add 3 lbs light brown sugar and 7 cans of apple juice concentrate.

image-1056979474.jpg

Rinsing my grains with boiling water after heating the grains at 155 for one hour.

image-2912296642.jpg

My son decided to throw his train into the left over grains!

image-576407401.jpg

So I went a little astray from my original idea. I added 2.5 lbs of light brown sugar, 2.5 lbs of DME and some pumpkin pie spice to the boil.

image-2009915809.jpg

Anyone ever used this? I added about a tablespoon.

image-1628851858.jpg

This is what I got off the two pounds of oats and crystal (my extract). Not bad. Nice,dark and chewy. Just what I was going for.

image-1289882088.jpg

I added 2 gallons of spring water and 8 cans of apple juice concentrate.

image-812288780.jpg

My yeast starter.

image-3469660957.jpg

And here it is! I'm going to check the OG now.

Good thing you have a lot of head space on that thing, 1.100 is a monster gravity for a cider, but I guess technically this is a half way point between cider and Graf. Either way, sounds like it'll be a nice dark malty drink. Are you aiming for dry or sweet? Let it go all the way and you're looking at a hybrid apfelwein instead of cider.

I know MONSTER GRAVITY! I can't wait to see what it's going to turn into. I should call it my Monster Mash.

I HEAR BY DECLARE THIS YEAST INFUSED BEAST OF A BROWN SWEETENED CIDER.....MONSTER MASH!!! Thank you, thank you very much:)

watomlinson said:
Good thing you have a lot of head space on that thing, 1.100 is a monster gravity for a cider, but I guess technically this is a half way point between cider and Graf. Either way, sounds like it'll be a nice dark malty drink. Are you aiming for dry or sweet? Let it go all the way and you're looking at a hybrid apfelwein instead of cider.

I prefer it a little sweet and carbonated.

HAREEBROWNBEEST said:

image-3496932868.jpg

Within the past hour or so the crausen is gone and it's bubbling the airlock like its on crack! Very tiny little bubbles going nuts like a freshly poured soda. You can here it sizzling away.

The power of nature right before your eyes. Bet your son gets top marks when he takes bio-science later on in life! Lol

This looks pretty darn good, and I'm sure the toy train will only help the process.

Question: looks like a bit too much headspace for a secondary... Planning on racking into something smaller?

I have some 3 gallon carboys but I was afraid it would be close so I through it in the 5 gallon just to be safe. I plan on bottling in a month. I will back sweeten with AJC.

Well a month in that 5gal carboy shouldn't be too bad I would think. But I would get it into bottles sooner rather than later, OR fill the 3gal carboy and bottle the rest!

HAREEBROWNBEEST said:
How come? I just never heard of having too much room in a secondary. Thanks

Great question!

I was of the mind that after racking to secondary you have lost the protective 'blanket' of co2 that the cider had in the primary. Is that not the case for this batch? Did you rack it over with some fermentation yet to occur? If so, that protective blanket will be re-established.

If not, the large ammount of surface area is reacting with that cider, oxidizing it, and (possibly) allowing airborne bacteria to reach it (ex. - acedobacter).

Hopefully I'm just being a paranoid 'devils advocate' for you. Not criticising your technique!

Bottled today!

image-1987374303.jpg

image-1668134029.jpg

Nice dark brown color

image-3205733362.jpg

My carbonation tester bottle to see when it's ready to put into fridge.
Oh man this is the creamiest beverage I have ever made, I added 4 cans of AJC to exactly three gallons of my cider, at time of bottling. It's perfect! Now to let carb up.

Looks tasty. Your racking technique must be better than mine Haree, I never manage to get more than ten bottles per gallon. And frequently get less! What's your secret?

Back