New Cascade rhizome in Canada..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojacques

Reaction score
Hey fellas.
So I planted my Cascade rhizome 2 1/2 weeks ago and I can't wait to see it sprout...

I suppose the chilly weather here in Quebec, Canada (it rarely got over 60F) is not helping a quick sprouting...

So I have the following questions for you, to make sure I am on the right track..
1- I quickly water about once every 5 days, making sure I do not overwater.
2- I am not currently using fertilizer, should I start even though no sprouts have appeared?
3- How much direct light will it need? I realized it will only get about 5 hours of direct sunlight once the trees grow leaves (I live in the woods)
4- And finally, is it normal my Cascade haven't sprouted yet?

Merci!!

Oh and also, (can't edit original post, don't know why).

My rhizome sits at about 2 inches below ground... is this too deep or too close to the surface?

Mine took about 2 weeks to do much after the very first bud broke the surface three weeks ago, here in MA. For the past week it's been growing like crazy.

Mine is planted about 1" deep, in heavily manured soil.

Man, it's been more than 2 weeks for me. I watered with fertilizers yesterday, lets see if it help..

Cold weather will make them slow to come out. 2 weeks is not long. I planted a couple of mine 4 inches deep last year and they took about 4 to 5 weeks to come up.

Ones I planted later about an inch deep (when the weather was warmer) came up in less than a week.

Its was still cold the past weeks, and no shoots yet...

Do you think it will harm the rhizome if I remove the soil on top and replace with heavily manured soil?

Damn... Its almost June and still nothing...

I'm beginning to think there is a problem here. I added Home Made compost about a week ago, still nothing.

It did but my harvest was very poor (4 cones).

I am hoping the roots established and that it will grow well next summer. Let's see!

If not, I plan on moving it to an area around the house where it should get more natural light.

My first year was very poor. Second year was much better! They take a couple of years to really get going. I'm a hardiness Zone2 so I was thrilled when mine survived the winter ��

Zone 2 is pretty damn far north. Southern Quebec would be a 3 or 4 depending on where you are.

Zone 2 is pretty damn far north. Southern Quebec would be a 3 or 4 depending on where you are.

Maybe Southern Alberta is 3-4, Southern Québec is 4-5. Gatineau specifically is 4-5, it's literally on the limit of those two zones (unlike Montréal that is well within zone 5). For reference, Québec City is zone 4. Zone 3 is "north".

Where exactly that limit in Gatineau is is hard to say. Hull island is more likely 5. Up the hills in Gatineau Park is surely 4. I'd say most of urban Gatineau (sector) and Aylmer is 5, while most of the rural sectors are 4. But best to just consider that you are on the limit, that these zones are based on probabilities and averages anyways (and thus don't precisely predict that every winter will yield), and that even with the plants the rating is an estimation in most cases. Some zone 5 plants will thrive in some parts of the city, some will suffer on the colder winters. Hops should be fine, there are a few commercial growers in Pontiac now, just West of Gatineau.

Back