new build small batch ebrew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getonup

Reaction score
I'm working on a design to do small batch brewing with a 120V supply and heating element. Started the process with a test pot I bought from Salvation Army. Good thing. I have a leak and I'm almost certain it's because the punch hole is too large for the o ring. In general though, I had a super productive day and am happy with the progress I made. Check it out!

edit: reduce gigantic image size

3UcVnyp.jpg

he0CWh7.jpg

FVbYSfW.jpg

OUdLs2Y.jpg

lEkcSzu.jpg

Planning on a small EBIAB setup with a 120V control panel. I'm still not quite sure how well 120V will do with 1 gallon batches. I'll have to boil 2 gallons. But I figure it's worth a shot.

I just built an electric HLT using a 90 mil 5 gallon plastic bucket. It's 240V and will boil 4 gallons of cold water in 20 minutes. :) But that means the same setup at 120V would boil in about 80 or 90 minutes and would not need a massive power cord.

It leaked just a little when I first filled it with water. But after heating it the first time, the leak stopped; I don't know if the O-ring sealed better after it got hot, or the plastic bucket. It does not leak now even when cold.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this; either another bucket with a smaller heating element and a dimmer to use as a kettle, or just keep brewing on the stove but now I have a fast source of hot water.

I can share what I've learned so far if it would help, but I don't wanna hijack your thread.
  • How many watts is your heating element, 1500?
  • Did you put the O-ring inside the pot or outside? (mine leaked like the dickens when outside, where it looked like it belonged, and sealed nicely when I put it right behind the locknut inside the bucket)

Yeah, that's a little big for 120V.

Good to hear that there's hope left for fixing my leak! Luckily it's just a test bucket. I'm going to have another go at it this weekend. I'll post with an update.

The heating element is 1500W. Also, the o-ring is on the outside of the can, per theelectricbrewery.com's specifications. I have faith. I'm just hoping to get a better fit next time. The punches I had available were just too big. So I'll be looking for a punch that fits a little better this next time.

Back