New Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We2smart

2Smart Mancave Brewer
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to brewing, purchased a cheap beer kit and I fell in love. That was in Feb 2023. Today I am waiting for my Spike Solo System BIAB to go along with my spike CF5 Conical. Now, I just need to save some money and get the last missing piece before brew day. The Spike Wort chiller. My whole system is Spike, the pump, CIP, PRV, Temp Control, etc. I am sure I will be reaching out for as much help and advice I can get. I have joined a Brewing club and study all kinds of youtube videos. Now it's time for Brew Day!

Don't do it! There is no turning back!

That system looks pretty cool, and since it starts at 10 gallons, you must be the Emperor Bull Goose Noob. You are not playing around.

With 10-gallon batches, I seriously hope you're not bottling.

You're going to do great. Don't even worry about it. Get yourself some Star San and make sure you don't get infected, and you'll be fine.

What kind of Mash paddle should I use for a stainless steel basket? Wood vs Steel? Does it matter? Wood seems unsanitary but I see a lot of videos with folks using Wood. Can some one tell me the advantages and disadvantages to Wood vs steel?

What kind of Mash paddle should I use for a stainless steel basket? Wood vs Steel? Does it matter? Wood seems unsanitary but I see a lot of videos with folks using Wood. Can some one tell me the advantages and disadvantages to Wood vs steel?

Main difference is personal opinion. Both need to be cleaned after use. I would wager that cleaning the wood would be slightly more difficult but I could be wrong on that.

Personally in my SS all in one I use a SS mash paddle.

Main difference is personal opinion. Both need to be cleaned after use. I would wager that cleaning the wood would be slightly more difficult but I could be wrong on that.

Personally in my SS all in one I use a SS mash paddle.
in the mash a hardwood paddle works great. never worried about sanitation as the wort gets boiled for long period of time i generally just rinse clean and be done. go stainless if a multi purpose is needed after boil etc.

back in the day all they used was a magic stick to produce beer before knowledge of yeast came known.

Wood is nice as it doesn't scratch the inside of your kettle ..... not sure if that matters to anyone else ;). Also agree with OleBrewing as the mash will be boiled anyway so nothing really to be concerned about.

Latest posts

Back