New brewer with og question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viper24

Reaction score
I just brewed a double ipa tonight and got a OG reading of 1.068. It's a little lower than what the kit called for. Is this a big deal. Also I'm wondering if I'm better off buying a good hydrometer, the one that came in the kit doesn't sit right in the tube, keeps leaning forward. It looks like the wrapping is coming undone in the glass.

Was this an extract, partial mash or all grain kit? How much lower are we talking? To test the hydrometer place it in 68 degree water and it should read 1.0000. If not, replace it or account for the difference. The unwrapping of the internal paper may not be an issue if it is accurate. Also, give the hydrometer a spin while it is floating and see if it levels out.

If it was a partial boil, the wort & top off water may not have gotten mixed well. Plus many kits give an OG range of a few points difference. That's pretty close in my opinion.

As stated by Unionrdr you are good to go. That is way closer than I ever got on my first brew it mine turned out great. Good luck and enjoy the new obsession.

Agree with the above. You made beer!! My first batch was way above and turned out great. Abv was higher than it was supposed to be but hey that can be a good thing

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Two things, one the volume could be off. Two, liquid striates quickly, so unless you stirred thoroughly before taking a sample, that could put it off.

Either way, no worries, you were successful :mug:

Three points is nothing, dude, don't worry about it. Did you correct for temp? If not then that may account for the difference. I've seen three hydrometers show three different readings in the same wort. At a certain point you gotta call it close enough. Congratulations on your brew though, I hope it's delicious!

-ben

Spend $20 for a refractometer. They are easier to read, use less beer and most look like a mini lightsaber...

You're close enough on your numbers as others pointed out could be your water levels, boil off and half a dozen other things, but 3 points could also just be your eyes or how your hydrometer floats. I got tired of straining my eyes and bought a refractormeter and haven't regreted it at all.

3-10,000ths of a point, will not make any noticeable difference in flavor or mouth feel.
You made beer!, woo-hoo!, beer!

Back