New brewer from Erie, PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSteve

Reaction score
How's it going everyone? I've been reading and lurking on the site for some time now and figured it was time to say "Hi!".

I did some kit brewing in plastic pails years ago and after a few bad batches, I packed up the stuff and put it in the closet. Now that I'm older and a little smarter, I find out that the B-Brite I was using as a sanitizer back then was only a cleaner... LOL

I decided that I wanted to get back into brewing so I started collecting some better equipment (such as glass carboys and actual sanitizer :D ) Since the wife really likes wine, it was an easy sell to buy all kinds of nice equipment to make wine (which also happens to be very useful in brewing :rockin: ).

I figured making wine first would actually be a good way to ease into brewing beer because making wine seems much simpler. I have two batches of wine nearing completion and I'm getting ready to start my first batch of beer. I'll probably do a few kit beers first before going too crazy. Haven't decided on what to brew first.

Well, that's about it for now, talk to you in the forums!

Welcome!! What I wouldn't give to be in your neck of the woods this summer....I love the walleye fishing on Erie.

Yeah... since the lake is only a mile away, I tend to take it for granted sometimes and think that it's the same everywhere.

You mean not everyone has access to excellent walleye, perch, and steelhead fishing? :D

Yeah... since the lake is only a mile away, I tend to take it for granted sometimes and think that it's the same everywhere.

You mean not everyone has access to excellent walleye, perch, and steelhead fishing? :D

I lived in Buff, NY for a few years....that'll spoil a guy...sm bass, salmon, stream steelies, but open water trolling the state line area in the summer for walleyes was my favorite......dipsy divers and renosky's

Hey Steve, I'm from Warren, PA! Did you know about the homebrew club in Erie, HAZARD Homebrew? They are having their first meeting this Saturday!

Hey Steve,

I'm from Erie too, though I live in Pittsburgh right now. It was easy for me to get into brewing beer because my dad makes wine and already had a lot of the necessary equipment. I assume the higher alcohol content makes sanitation easier for him, because he always laughs when he sees how carefully I clean and sanitize everything.

I certainly miss fishing. Not that I was ever a good fisherman. My buddy and I would just shoot down to the pier on Presque Isle after work and try to catch some real fish in between catching gobies and getting our lines stuck on the zebra mussels on the bottom. One time I got my line caught and couldn’t shake the mussels off. I grabbed the line to pull it and snap it. It wouldn’t snap though, so I started reeling in and then pulling more. After reeling in a bunch, I realized it wasn’t stuck, but that I had something dead or inanimate on my line and I was going to have to reel it in to get it off. By the time it comes to the surface, everybody along the pier is looking down to see what I had “caught”. Crap, I thought, they think I have a fish. What the heck, I told my buddy to grab the net and retrieve the…skateboard. I grabbed it when he swung the net up and raised it up in the air while the other fishermen laughed and clapped. Still the biggest thing I’ve ever caught.

-Paul

Hey Steve, I'm from Warren, PA! Did you know about the homebrew club in Erie, HAZARD Homebrew? They are having their first meeting this Saturday!

What, where, when, how... :rockin:

I've been looking for a local club. The closest thing that I stumbled on was the Erie Beer Society.

This Saturday I'm going to be working on putting new axles under my buddy's Jeep, but depending on the time, maybe I could stop out.

What the heck, I told my buddy to grab the net and retrieve the…skateboard. I grabbed it when he swung the net up and raised it up in the air while the other fishermen laughed and clapped. Still the biggest thing I’ve ever caught.

That's awesome!

Here's a link to the facebook page for the club:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=131517314273&ref=ts

You should join and come to the meeting! The meeting is from 4 - 7 although I wont be making it until 5 or a little after.

I joined the page.. Can't find a location for the meeting.

Is this a club for beginner brewers also? Seems to be some hardcore brewers in the club. My two plastic buckets and seven carboys is no match for huge stainless steel brew set-ups and people milling their own hops that they grew themselves in their backyard.. LOL

Of course it's for beginners as well! There is an event tab on the facebook page that has the meeting information. It strangely doesn't have the address listed but I can give it to you in a private message if you need it.

Back