New Brewer fom Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtleneck

Reaction score
Hey everybody... I'm totally new at all this and have been looking forward to this day for some time now. Finally bit the bullet and got set up to do extract brewing. Now I'm compiling a list of must haves to go all grain. Got most everything figured out thanks to youtube and great forums like this one. There is much to learn! I do have a starter question... having come from drinking "American" beers, Busch, Bud, etc. what are some good all grain recipes that I could look up that are not real bitter? I just brewed a "Brewers Best American Amber" with an IBU of 29-32 and having tasted it before carbonation, it seems a bit bitter than my liking. Any ideas? Suggestions?? Thanks again for a GREAT forum!

Welcome to HBT!

As for some recipes, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde/ is a good one, or EdWort's Haus Pale are both good choices.

I know that light lagers like Busch, Bud, Miller, ect...are harder to duplicate due to their "lack of taste". Any off flavors will be much harder to hide in such a light beer.
Good luck with your new hobby :mug:

Thanks for the heads up on the recipes, I'm going to check them out. Up till two weeks ago, I have never heard of the term IBU's. I know know that it stands for International Bittering Units. I noticed that the Centennial Blonde has a IBU of 21.6 sounds more to my liking. Never been a fan of bitter beers. Your going to have to forgive my ignorance... but according to the recipe>>>

Amount
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

I understand the first item is 7lb of Pale Malt... what is 2 row and what does (2.0 SRM) stand for?
Line 3 calls for .50lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L... what does the 10L stand for?

Got the rest figured out, all new to me, processing information as fast as I can. Thanks for all your help!!!

2 row is a type brewers malt. SRM relates to the color derived from a particular malt.
10L or lovibond tells you how much it is roasted.
I suggest reading How to Brew to get started. Also, lurk and read here as much as possible. Most questions that you have will have already been answered.
Bull

Welcome from an hour to the NE....

Read lots before you put your first brew together. In addition to HBT, check out John Palmers How To Brew. Most people around here started out reading that site.

Also, check with your LHBS. I think I have seen one mentioned in Fort Wayne, or if you are around Toledo stop in at Titgemeier's. Any good shop will be willing to help you get started and and answer your questions.

Other than that, give up all non-brewing thoughts and the concepts of free time and extra money and the transition will be much easier! :D

Enjoy!

Back