New Brewer Fermentation Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole_Smoky

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just got back into home brewing after about 15 years, I did a few back in the day that weren't very exciting or any good.

I have a quick question about the fermentation process. I started my first kit the other day, its a Brewers Best Pumpkin Spice Porter. I completed my boil and got everything going in my primary 60 hours ago. I did a 6 gal boil which gave me 5 gals in my primary without having to add any extra water. My OG was 1.048 which is a little low compared to the instructions but I chalk that up to the fact that I didn't do any aeration (the instructions didn't mention anything about it). I read on here the thinner liquid will rise to the top and can throw off your SG readings. I began to see action in my airlock after 12 hours. My primary temps have been between 70- 72 until this morning where they are now reading 66-68. I was planning on racking to secondary tomorrow evening after being in the primary for 4 days (instructions say 4-6 days). I looked this morning and the airlock has dropped back down, I know the airlock isn't an indication of fermentation finishing but it has made me curious. Will it hurt anything if I rack to secondary this evening (3 days primary) or should I wait until tomorrow. I just want to ensure I get it transferred before fermentation is finished (instructions said that's important). My main reason for racking to secondary is so I can get my primary cleaned out and start another batch!!

Sorry for the long winded story, just wanted to make sure I got all the info in there, thanks!

I would let it sit in primary for at least 2 week minimum after that check gravity on a regular basis until gravity stays the same. Not sure what type of secondary you have but I am thinking you might be able to use as a primary for the next brew.

Cheers

Toss the instructions. Let the beer sit in the primary for 3 weeks and skip the secondary. You and your beer will be happier.

This was my original plan due to the nice set it and forget it nature, only problem is that Ill have to wait 3 weeks before I can start my next brew..

My secondary is a better bottle 5 gal carboy. So not any good for a primary. Looking back on things I should have bought a second bucket instead of the carboy when I bought my equipment. Oh well live and learn I guess.

This was my original plan due to the nice set it and forget it nature, only problem is that Ill have to wait 3 weeks before I can start my next brew..

My secondary is a better bottle 5 gal carboy. So not any good for a primary. Looking back on things I should have bought a second bucket instead of the carboy when I bought my equipment. Oh well live and learn I guess.

Do a 4 gallon batch

Most folks don't bother with a secondary fermenter, but I understand why you want to in the situation. You'll be fine racking either tonight or tomorrow. Off the cake the beer will finish fermentation a little slower, and may take a little longer to mellow.

I would just go ahead and by the second fermenting bucket and a couple more airlocks/stoppers. You know that you are going to need it anyway. This way you can get your fermenting rotation set up and that helps a lot with the patience factor...

Welcome back to the madness... :mug:

Thanks guys I think I'll rack this one tomorrow night and order a couple more buckets and airlocks. I just want to get a good stash of beer started up so I can start enjoying the fruits of my labor! It sucks cause there's no shops in the town where I live so everything I've bought online so far. If i were to order a bucket tonight I wouldn't see it for probably 10 days!

Oh man that sucks I thought I had it bad. I've kinda been all over the map just getting started so I'm on my third order now, over $100 combined for shipping, I'm trying to plan things out a bit better now.

Latest posts

Back