New brew software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerHappy

Reaction score
So, I had beer alchemy and it worked pretty good. I got a new Ipad and it says it can’t download it from the cloud because it is not on the app store anymore. I searched some of the past forums and many suggest beer alchemy or other apps that are no longer available. Anyone have a suggestion. I really just use it for building recipes. Nothing too heavy like water calculations and such. I just like to plug in my ingredients and see a general idea of SG, color, ibu, and such.

Thanks. I do not have a computer so no need to go on anything but the ipad. Whatever happened to beer alchemy? It worked fine for what I used it for.

So, I had beer alchemy and it worked pretty good. I got a new Ipad and it says it can’t download it from the cloud because it is not on the app store anymore. I searched some of the past forums and many suggest beer alchemy or other apps that are no longer available. Anyone have a suggestion. I really just use it for building recipes. Nothing too heavy like water calculations and such. I just like to plug in my ingredients and see a general idea of SG, color, ibu, and such.

i had the same problem when promash closed it's doors, i started using beersmith 2....on a pc, works well enough and even includes price.....

Been using BeerSmith for a number of years or so now and it works well for me. It is not that expensive and is easy to use once you set up your system parameters. The only thing I don't like about it is the water calculation module.
I use Bru'n Water for my water calculations. It is a great piece of software

I was beer alchemy for a long time on mac, ipad and phone. Nice software worked well and I didn't mind paying for it. But updates got further and further apart and communication from the developer was non-existant. So I looked around and went with Beersmith. In comparing different software packages most do pretty much the same thing but I decided to place a pretty high value on Brad Smith's committment to the software and the hobby. Not sure if he does anything else professionally but seems clear this is not some side project he may walk away from any day.

I've used BeerSmith for about 6 years now, and I really like it. I have tinkered with BrewFather for a few recipes and like it also. The one thing I don't like about BeerSmith is that I have to move recipes to the cloud to see them on all devices. This is seamless in BrewFather.

i had the same problem when promash closed it's doors, i started using beersmith 2....on a pc, works well enough and even includes price.....

What made you stop using ProMash? I still have it and while I like making my own spreadsheets, I still have ProMash dialed in with a supplemental Excel sheet I use for pH stuff.

I still think ProMash is hard to beat. BeerSmith is essentially a bad, fluff laden version of ProMash anyway.

What made you stop using ProMash? I still have it and while I like making my own spreadsheets, I still have ProMash dialed in with a supplemental Excel sheet I use for pH stuff.

I still think ProMash is hard to beat. BeerSmith is essentially a bad, fluff laden version of ProMash anyway.

they went out of business i guess? i couldn't get it when i had to reformat.....i'd have to agree beersmith is bloaty, but i do like the fact it calculates the price of a batch....

they went out of business i guess? i couldn't get it when i had to reformat.....i'd have to agree beersmith is bloaty, but i do like the fact it calculates the price of a batch....

Brewer's Friend calculates the price of a batch as well. That's what I've been using after using Beersmith for many years.

Brewer's Friend calculates the price of a batch as well. That's what I've been using after using Beersmith for many years.

Brewer's Friend is web based i thought? never tried it....but i already bought beersmith, so i'll keep using it until i can't anymore, i've got the 50 batches a year i've brewed saved in it, since 2016....(having a history comes in handy once in a while)

Since others have commented what software tracks costs, BrewFather tracks costs as well.....

Brewer's Friend is web based i thought? never tried it....but i already bought beersmith, so i'll keep using it until i can't anymore, i've got the 50 batches a year i've brewed saved in it, since 2016....(having a history comes in handy once in a while)

yes, it's cloud based. I bought Beersmith in 2006, and then upgraded to 2.0 about 10 years ago(?), but eventually exported all of my recipes over to Brewer's Friend. I think I imported about 350 of them or so.

Back