New Brew Pot! What to make...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecad

Reaction score
The woman gave me an earlier birthday gift of a bigger brew pot (12.5 gal) :D it barley fits on the stove and takes 2 burners to heat properly, but I'm pumped all the same. It was tested today and works perfectly. I have stuff ready for another batch based on my old pot, but I'm looking for something to utilize my new space and go all out. Was thinking an imperial stout or something similar for the winter but she doesn't like "dark" beers (Note: the SWMBO Slayer is currently fermenting). Since it will be early to mid fall by the time it's done I was thinking maybe a pumpkin ale for halloween? I'm so excited over my new pot I can't decide :drunk:, so i leave it to HBT to decide what i should make. All suggestions are welcome as always.

your pal
THE CAD

Are you going to brew 10 gallon batches in there? Have you tried boiling 10 gallons of water? I know I have considered upgrading to a larger pot to brew 10 gallon batches and I took a little heat on here for wanting to do it on the stove. There's a lot of people that just don't think it will work (due to weight or really slow boil times and weak boil). I wouldn't know since I will just wait until I can use a propane burner (apartment living right now), but I think my stove can handle it. I'm just too nervous to buy the pot and have it turn out that I can't get an adequate boil. They recommended a heat stick to assist, but that needs to be in a gfi circuit. Let us know how it turns out; I am very interested in this. Also, awesome gift! Brew on! :rockin:

Edit: I guess I should answer your question on what to brew. I'm a big fan of brown ales. I don't know if that is too dark for your SWMBO or not, but that's what I recommend. Also a pumpkin ale sounds awesome. I am giving my first go at one in a few weeks.

Going to a modified BIAB system hopefully. She got me a "seafood" pot from Boscov's wider then normal pots but not as tall, needs 2 burners for balance cause it won't fit on one. I'm in the apt situation as well, did a test brew with a brew baesd on my old pot today (had to play with it). My stove is electric and I had no major issues, slightly difficult to reach the control knobs for the stove since they're on the back, but had a good boil going once it started. only possible issue was revomal of the grains at mash out. Staddling the 2 burners put the overhead microwave in the way for removing the grain bag, didn't make it hard but it was an obsticle, but that's how my kitchen is set up yours may be different but it is something to be considered. If the pot was much taller it wouldn't fit with enough space for proper use. There was plenty of space left during the brew to add more and I only had to top with about 1 1/2 gal of water when I was done with the boil so I think a larger batch could definetly be possible.

Just found out she got this monster pot for $35 on sale at Boscov's, so watch the sale ads.

As for the Brown Ale just made Cad's Left Over S*** Brown from random left overs so I can't go that route, but thaks for the input.

your pal,
THE CAD

Thanks for the advice. I never even considered the height of the pot and that could be a problem with my hood. Well since you just brewed a brown, go with the pumpkin. Perfect for the upcoming season. I'm going to check out that pot. Thanks for sharing. :rockin:

I world say screw the ”seasonal” beer and brew your favorite style. I love stouts and IPAs. Check out the chocolate espresso stout by tuck (all grain) great stout.

Berkshire Mall, she says there was only one and it was marked $99 but was on sale

Got the last one at Coventry today, big black beast, awesome. They have 5 gallon pots for $12. Great for new brewers.

Latest posts

Back