new brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahdi

Reaction score
What size do you recommend for a newbies kettle? Right now I am brewing 5 gallon extract recipes. I will be moving up to all grain. Not sure that I will venture into 10 recipes though. thanks

I had a 9 gallon and it was tight for 5 gallon biab batches. I'm in a 15 gallon pot now and it works great for 5 gallon biab. I have done 10 gallon biab batches as well but those are either moderate gravity or I do a quick sparge.

I still use my 5 gallon kettle. I do 4 gallon boils, take the pot off the heat with the 1st hop addition(prevents the boil overs) then place back on heat to boil. Chill to 85 and top off with refrigerated water to bring to full volume. I use beersmith to help my recipe configuration.

Go with a 15 gallon or bigger when I bought my 10 gallon I said I would never need a bigger pot and now I'm saving for a 20 gallon.

When I started last year I had a kettle that was about 4 gallon and I did the same as you, 5 gal extract brews, but I just bought a bigger kettle so I could do BIAB. So if you know you are doing BIAB or compmete all grain then just buy a 15 gal right away. I saw some good deals on Amazon the other day

I do all grain with an 8 gallon pot but I agree with the posters above that bigger is better. For my purposes my 8 gallon does the job!

Cheers!

Back