New Belguim, Lips fo Faith, LaFolic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
La Folie is a Flemish brown ale which is aged in French wooden casks for 1-3 years. Unlike a lot of Flemish ales it isn't blended with younger beer so it's extremely sour (more so than, say, Duchess de Bourgogne). Without a doubt it's one of my favorite beers.

I think if you start with a Flemish brown ale around 6-7% potential ABV (1.060 or so) and pitch the White Labs lambic blend, you will get something similar but it will take about 2 years of aging with a few French oak cubes added to the fermenter. If you can find them, the 750mL bottles are bottle conditioned, the dregs could be cultured and pitched into the secondary which would be ideal.

Here's a starting point, from Wild Brews... hopefully someone else will have some ideas for tweaking. I definitely don't get the raisiny or bready character typical of a Flanders red in this brew, so I think this would be pretty close...

70% Pils
10% Caravienne
10% Caramunich
10% Flaked maize

Hallertau hops to 25 IBUs. Boil for 2 hours.

Hell ya!

I fell in love with La Folie last August when I was looking for something new to try. Now every time I see it on the menu I have to order it because I'm afraid it will be gone. Which sucks because it's one of my favorite bars/restaurants that has it, and their beer menu is amazing, so I never want to try anything new.

Interesting on the recipe. I would really like to try to make one of these some day. I have the patience to wait 2 years, I think, but being an apartment dweller, I'm kind of lacking the space to stash a carboy for that long, not to mention I have no idea where I'll be living in 2 years.

What temperatures would you typically ferment a sour ale at? Higher or lower than your normal ales? Or still in that 68-72 degree range?

Latest posts

Back